Mix: Pac-Man, Law & Order: SVU, Origami, Rush Limbaugh | iLounge News

Mix: Pac-Man, Law & Order: SVU, Origami, Rush Limbaugh

iPodMame is a new project that uses the iPodLinux software to allow users to install and play Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man on a fifth-generation iPod or iPod nano.

NBC’s “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” has been added to the iTunes Music Store. Seasons 1 and 7 are currently available. [via TUAW]

Microsoft has officially announced the first Origami device. Samsung’s Q1 is an ultra-compact PC that runs Windows XP and features a 7-inch touch-screen, 40GB HD, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Gizmodo has hands on photos.

Rush Limbaugh has been working with Apple engineers to offer his paid “Rush 24/7” podcast through iTunes.

« iShok Nano case announced

DLO debuts nanoTune for iPod nano »

Comments

From the Origami article:

“Will Smith, editor of Maximum PC magazine, noted that the launch versions of many tech products are often mediocre. “Version 1.0 of Microsoft products are never any good,” says Smith.”

Do they ever get better?

Posted by YuleLogger on March 9, 2006 at 9:50 AM (CST)

I like Rush Limbaugh and am excited that he’ll be on iTunes.  Just wanted to say that before all the player haters start posting their typical unoriginal conservative bashing.

Posted by Robert on March 9, 2006 at 10:06 AM (CST)

Shame the Origami doesn’t look a thing like the mockup in the original promo video - that had me a little excited. But then these tanks get released with a woeful 2.5hours battery life. Hopefully it’ll either evolve into that concept or Apple bring out their own ultra mobile - with all of the touch screen patents it could be a possibility.

Posted by Piarco75 on March 9, 2006 at 10:16 AM (CST)

I would love to see an ultra-mobile that ran a variant of XP or an x86 linux, had a 4-6” screen, could handle decoding even h.264 and ran for 4-6 hours at full brightness with a user-replacable battery.  512MB RAM, 60GB HD.  Rotate or slide for thumbkey access.  Cost $500 - $900.  So far none of these Origami devices fit the bill.

I wonder if Apple could do a device like that only have it run OSX.  Could be a niche that fits them perfectly.

Posted by stark23x on March 9, 2006 at 10:34 AM (CST)

Wahoo!  Rush Limbaugh finally available through iTunes!  I’m so excited!  Now I can ditch my Automator script that I’ve had to use to make it easier to import his daily podcast into iTunes.

Posted by Cool Cat on March 9, 2006 at 11:09 AM (CST)

I was looking at the Law and Order SVU episodes and saw that “rapist” and “murderer” were editied out.  Are those words really not allowed to be shown?

Posted by Josh on March 9, 2006 at 2:51 PM (CST)

I would not have comprehended the iPodLinux page more if it were in German.  Any chance of a sleek installer coming along for the rest of us?

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 9, 2006 at 4:04 PM (CST)

For someone like me who thinks my Dell 700m notebook is WAY TOO big and cumbersome, the Origami FF is just about perfect, and the initial price range isn’t too hard to swallow even if it means yet another Windoze device in the fold. But then the reality hits.

After reading about the Samsung unit at CeBit, I think I’ll wait until the next generation. I can probably live w/ the WVGA and PSP-sheen plastic, but the 1 1/2 hrs of battery life? Not exactly the 6 to 8 hrs Mr. Bill was hoping for last year, fer dang sure. And the almost $1200 price tag (European introduction price) isn’t exactly hitting the price target either, even if it’s roughly half of the amount a reasonably tarted-up Tablet PC seems to go for whenever I price one of those out.

I’ve been aching for a Tablet PC-type of device for field work, but to date haven’t been able to mentally justify the usual $2k to $2.5k price tag for one. I LIKE the fact that the Origami is small and easier to physically manage and carry around than a notebook, and utilizes a touch screen like a PDA, but without the battery life being significantly better it’s stillborn for me, though if it DID have a better battery—hopefully easily replaceable at the same time—I could even leave the iPod at home. Windoze XP…iTunes…who needs the iPod, especially if I have to carry the computer around anyways? And if it has an integrated PHONE module—GSM preferred—as well…that WOULD be perfect, especially considering its Bluetooth interface.

Any way I can nuke additional devices I’m all in for.

Posted by flatline response on March 9, 2006 at 4:21 PM (CST)