Mix: Palm Pre, iPhone 3GS shipment delays, FCC review, 3.0 release
Apple has published a new support document warning users of the Palm Pre that their ability to sync with iTunes may be removed at any time. Titled “iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players,” the article explains that Apple designs its hardware and software to provide seamless integration between its media devices, iTunes, the iTunes Store, and the App Store, and that it is aware that some third-party companies claim their products are able to sync with iTunes. It notes, however, that “Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple’s iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.”
Following the receipt of shipment notifications for their iPhone 3GS units, a number of pre-order customers are reporting that their shipments are being intentionally delayed by Apple to prevent early deliveries. Mac Rumors has posted a tracking information screenshot from one such user, noting that “The receiver requested a hold for a future delivery date. UPS will attempt delivery on the date requested.” According to the report, Apple has used previous tactics in the past to time shipments up with product release dates.
A group of four United States senators has sent a letter to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Commissioner Michael Copps, requesting the body to review exclusivity arrangements between wireless carriers and cell phone manufacturers, such as the one between Apple and AT&T for the iPhone. The move was spurred by a May, 2008 petition from the Rural Cellular Association, a group of small carriers generally servicing parts of the country where the larger carriers don’t offer service. These carriers claim that their inability to offer customers the handsets of their choice makes it difficult for them to compete with the larger carriers in areas where their service overlaps. Notably, the letter raises specific concerns on whether the agreements “place limitations on a consumer’s ability to take full advantage of handset technologies, such as the ability to send multimedia messages or the ability to ‘tether’ a device to a computer for internet use.” [via BBG]
According to a network-wide SMS sent to Hong Kong-based 3 customers notifying users of a June 18, 01:00 local time release for iPhone OS 3.0, Engadget estimates that the anticipated upgrade will see a release at around 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time today.
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?