Mix: Palm Pre, iPhone 3GS shipment delays, FCC review, 3.0 release
Apple has published a new support document warning users of the Palm Pre that their ability to sync with iTunes may be removed at any time. Titled “iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players,” the article explains that Apple designs its hardware and software to provide seamless integration between its media devices, iTunes, the iTunes Store, and the App Store, and that it is aware that some third-party companies claim their products are able to sync with iTunes. It notes, however, that “Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple’s iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.”
Following the receipt of shipment notifications for their iPhone 3GS units, a number of pre-order customers are reporting that their shipments are being intentionally delayed by Apple to prevent early deliveries. Mac Rumors has posted a tracking information screenshot from one such user, noting that “The receiver requested a hold for a future delivery date. UPS will attempt delivery on the date requested.” According to the report, Apple has used previous tactics in the past to time shipments up with product release dates.
A group of four United States senators has sent a letter to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Commissioner Michael Copps, requesting the body to review exclusivity arrangements between wireless carriers and cell phone manufacturers, such as the one between Apple and AT&T for the iPhone. The move was spurred by a May, 2008 petition from the Rural Cellular Association, a group of small carriers generally servicing parts of the country where the larger carriers don’t offer service. These carriers claim that their inability to offer customers the handsets of their choice makes it difficult for them to compete with the larger carriers in areas where their service overlaps. Notably, the letter raises specific concerns on whether the agreements “place limitations on a consumer’s ability to take full advantage of handset technologies, such as the ability to send multimedia messages or the ability to ‘tether’ a device to a computer for internet use.” [via BBG]
According to a network-wide SMS sent to Hong Kong-based 3 customers notifying users of a June 18, 01:00 local time release for iPhone OS 3.0, Engadget estimates that the anticipated upgrade will see a release at around 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time today.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?