Mix: Palm Pre, iPhone 3GS shipment delays, FCC review, 3.0 release
Apple has published a new support document warning users of the Palm Pre that their ability to sync with iTunes may be removed at any time. Titled “iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players,” the article explains that Apple designs its hardware and software to provide seamless integration between its media devices, iTunes, the iTunes Store, and the App Store, and that it is aware that some third-party companies claim their products are able to sync with iTunes. It notes, however, that “Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players and, because software changes over time, newer versions of Apple’s iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with non-Apple digital media players.”
Following the receipt of shipment notifications for their iPhone 3GS units, a number of pre-order customers are reporting that their shipments are being intentionally delayed by Apple to prevent early deliveries. Mac Rumors has posted a tracking information screenshot from one such user, noting that “The receiver requested a hold for a future delivery date. UPS will attempt delivery on the date requested.” According to the report, Apple has used previous tactics in the past to time shipments up with product release dates.
A group of four United States senators has sent a letter to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Commissioner Michael Copps, requesting the body to review exclusivity arrangements between wireless carriers and cell phone manufacturers, such as the one between Apple and AT&T for the iPhone. The move was spurred by a May, 2008 petition from the Rural Cellular Association, a group of small carriers generally servicing parts of the country where the larger carriers don’t offer service. These carriers claim that their inability to offer customers the handsets of their choice makes it difficult for them to compete with the larger carriers in areas where their service overlaps. Notably, the letter raises specific concerns on whether the agreements “place limitations on a consumer’s ability to take full advantage of handset technologies, such as the ability to send multimedia messages or the ability to ‘tether’ a device to a computer for internet use.” [via BBG]
According to a network-wide SMS sent to Hong Kong-based 3 customers notifying users of a June 18, 01:00 local time release for iPhone OS 3.0, Engadget estimates that the anticipated upgrade will see a release at around 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time today.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014