Mix: Pimp My Ride, Mophie, Subscription services, Woz/Jobs
The upcoming season of MTV’s “Pimp My Ride” will incorporate iPods into more than a third of its transformations, including “a 1990 Toyota Celica outfitted with an iPod hookup that includes a ridiculously capacious two-terabyte hard drive—enough space to play music for more than a year without repeating a song,” according to The Washington Post.
Mophie has announced that the first 5,000 people to sign up for its newsletter will receive a free Relo Base Case for either the iPod nano or fifth-generation iPod. The first 200 people will get the case along with “limited edition Mophie gear.” The company says there are no shipping charges and no catches.
Analysts say that digital music subscription services won’t be turning a profit anytime soon. “It’s a long-haul business right now,” says Aram Sinnreich, managing partner of Radar Research, a Los Angeles-based consulting firm. “It will be at least three years before anyone can make a serious profit selling digital music,” largely because of the hold that Apple has on the market with iTunes.
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says that Apple CEO Steve Jobs backed out of writing the foreword to his upcoming autobiography. “I was a little disappointed — Steve Jobs had indicated he’d write a foreword. But he’d never written a foreword before and I said, ‘Just write what we were like back then’, Wozniak said in a recent interview. “We sent him the book and he said, ‘Oh, I saw some excerpts, and I’m going to decline writing the foreword.’ I don’t know why because I’m nice to him, so there must have been something he didn’t like.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple to unveil iWatch with new iPhones on September 9
- iPhone 6 parts leak reveals front panel variation
- Bloomberg: Apple now plans 12.9” iPad for early 2015
- More new Apple TV channels: SVT Play in Sweden, NRK in Norway
- Showtime Anytime channel comes to Apple TV
- LA Unified School District suspends iPad contract
- iTunes Festival channel returns to Apple TV
- Apple launches iPhone 5 battery replacement program
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pac-Man Friends
- Apple removes Secret app from Brazilian App Store
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today