Mix: PortalPlayer, BPI request, Ratatouille, Flash Mobs
PortalPlayer said yesterday that it has cut 14 percent of its work force—about 45 employees. The move comes two months after the company said its chips would not be used in some of Apple’s flash-based iPods.
The BPI, the British recording industry’s trade association, says that Apple needs to open up its FairPlay DRM to allow music from the iTunes Music Store to be playable on other devices.
Disney/Pixar have released the first trailer for 2007’s “Ratatouille.” The animated film stars a rat that lives in Paris and enjoys good food. The trailer is available in iPod video format.
Defective By Design has organized “Flash Mob” protests at San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, and New York Apple retail stores to “warn customers of the dangers of DRM in the iPod and iTunes.”
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?