Mix: QuickTime, BART, Hollywood, AAPL
The Oakland-based Bay Area Rapid Transit District is now enabling passengers with iPods to download BART schedules and maps. Using the BART QuickPlanner for iPod, passengers can check on train departure times, view a color version of the official BART system map and download general information about stations.
Arik Hesseldahl of BusinessWeek writes: “Music videos and a few TV shows may be the first of its iTunes video offerings, but Hollywood can’t be far behind. The iPod, the new iMac and a faster wireless network will tie this digital media environment together. If Apple can’t do it right—and make billions of dollars in the process—I don’t see who can.”
The Wall Street Journal reports: “Apple’s foray into video is one of its boldest and riskiest bets yet, and it will test the boundaries of consumers’ appetite for the iPod and the company’s iTunes music store, two offerings that have largely been focused on music. For Hollywood, Apple’s marketing power could help catalyze the business of selling TV and movies through the Internet, an opportunity that has been delayed by studios’ concerns about piracy of their content.”
Following the introduction of the new iPod and a day after reporting record fourth-quarter revenue, shares of Apple fell 4.5 percent to $49.25 and were “the biggest drag on the Nasdaq,” according to Reuters.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today