Mix: Radio Shack, Racetrack, TouchBrowser, Language support
A Radio Shack flier circulated this weekend featured an image of a jailbroken iPod touch. The picture shows both the Installer.app and MobileChat (an instant messaging application) icons, programs that are found only on jailbroken units.
Scientists from IBM have announced a new storage technology called “racetrack,” which would enable a device such as an iPod to hold about half a million songs, or 3,500 films, and cost less to produce. In addition, the new technology, which uses the “spin” of an electron to store data, would require much less power, running on a single charge for “weeks at a time,” and would last for decades. According to IBM, the technology is still in the “exploratory” stage; it expects products based on the technology to be available within ten years.
TouchBrowser, a new Windows Mobile application from Makayama Software, aims to bring an iPhone-like browsing experience to Pocket Internet Explorer. The application allows users to scroll through a web page using only their finger, introduces finger-friendly keyboards for entering URLs and searches, and more. TouchBrowser is available now for $15; a video demo can be seen here.
Apple plans to expand the iPhone’s language support, based on new files found in the latest version of the iPhone 2.0 beta firmware (5A240d). In addition to pre-existing languages including French, Russian, English, Italian, and German, the new firmware introduces support for Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, Korean, and Portuguese.
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?