Mix: Refurb shuffles, Teen murder, iPodResQ, Motorola E790 | iLounge News

Mix: Refurb shuffles, Teen murder, iPodResQ, Motorola E790

The online Apple Store is offering factory refurbished 512MB iPod shuffles for $79 and 1GB iPod shuffles for $99. The store also has deals on the discontinued 20GB iPod (black and white display) and the 30GB color display iPod.

A 15-year-old Brooklyn boy was fatally stabbed Saturday by two other teenagers in an iPod mugging, police said. “Rose and three friends were accosted by a group of young men Saturday evening in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn,” reports AP. “Members of the group demanded Rose’s iPod and stabbed him twice in the chest when he resisted. The group fled, taking Rose’s iPod and a backpack.”

iPodResQ has announced new discounts for its iPod repair programs. You can get $10 off the iPodResQ 24 Hour Nationwide iPod Repair Program with code “MEXICO”, and $10 off the iPodResQ 4G iPod Flat-Rate LCD Same-Day Replacement Service with code “MALL”.

Engadget has new photos of a Motorola E790 running iTunes. “It might just be an engineering or a production sample, and we can’t guarantee whether this will actually be the first iTunes phone or not,” the gadget site says.

« Icons, dialog show iTunes 4.9 ready for ‘iPod Phone’

Live 8 charitable music events now underway across world »

Comments

Regarding the muder: It was bound to happen, wasn’t it? I guess if someone mugs you for an iPod, you should probably let it go.

Posted by Lee on July 3, 2005 at 4:56 PM (CDT)

Sorry, my above comment didn’t come out well.  I didn’t mean to sound like I was blaming the poor kid for hanging on to his iPod.  I was just saying that it is a lesson we should all take to heart.

Posted by Lee on July 3, 2005 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

Exactly why I bought black headphones and keep my iPod hidden when on the Metro or walking around in DC.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on July 3, 2005 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

Note to self: Buy some cheap ghetto trash lookin’ headphones.

Posted by ash8080 in Florida, USA on July 3, 2005 at 6:54 PM (CDT)

^^lol

Posted by iamaclogger on July 3, 2005 at 10:42 PM (CDT)

I wish the cops would start planting “iPods” w/ a radio tracking device. Give them up when mugged, and hunt the animals down. Once a few thugs are sent to prison for some “tough love,” the others might start to think twice

Posted by blink on July 3, 2005 at 11:40 PM (CDT)

Here’s an idea for something truly useful to add to a future generations of iPods: some sort of optical scan so only the iPod’s owner can use it.

Of course, this is why when I get an iPod, I am going to use the Apple store and have my name laser engraved on the thing.

Posted by Lee on July 4, 2005 at 12:24 AM (CDT)

My 20GB iPod was stolen just 15mins after my school came-out on a sunny and popular street. Infact it happened right-next to the local church! (Where was God? lol).

Anyways, this kid came-up to me from behind said to give-up the iPod, sure enough I did knowing there just was no way out. He ran away and I caught his description. Called the cops did a report yadda yadda yadda . . .

Not a week later I get a letter from him saying he’s sorry. He since then paid back (now I got myself a 30GB iPod Photo :) ), and he’s currently going though the legal process.

-Lesson learned, I bought myself some non-iPod headphones. And I learned that sometimes its best to give it up, and ya never know - what comes around, goes around.

(Btw, I have since have had a fear to listening to Michael Jackson when walking on the street. -I was listening to Thriller when it happened.)

Just my .02 USD. Thanks.

Posted by Andrew on July 4, 2005 at 12:39 AM (CDT)

Posted by Lozz_The_Reverand on July 4, 2005 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

Give it up? come on now!
I’ve walked away from 5 (yeah, 5) muggings. And how much have I handed over? Nothing. Not a thing.
Andrew’s experience of the cops catching the guy is incredibly uncommon. One of my muggings was a gang of 7 with knives, a gang that was clearly caught on a Hungry Jacks security camera round the corner 15 minutes earlier, and had a whole squad searching the city for them. They don’t get caught. Those people are cowards and are banking on you just handing stuff over, they have NO plan if you don’t comply. Simply refuse, make some shit up, just to stall them as long as you can. No mugger is keen to hang around. Any longer than 15 seconds and they’ll just want to get the hell away.

(and regarding that knife one, I only had one guy on me whilst the rest were busy on others. He wanted my watch, so I told him it was fake and wasn’t worth anything. Rather than just demanding that I give it anyway, he actually argued the fact until his mates demanded that they had to make a run for it. OK, all that really proves is that I get mugged by complete idiots… haha)

Posted by Nathan on July 4, 2005 at 11:09 AM (CDT)

Oh, and be very vocal in your refusal - just so they start ******* themselves that someone will hear.

(and I’ve actually thought about it, and it’s only been 4, not that it makes much difference)

Posted by Nathan on July 4, 2005 at 11:24 AM (CDT)

why is it they only offer these “hot deals” on the Apple US site? Grr.

Posted by rockthecasbah on July 4, 2005 at 8:02 PM (CDT)

Posted by Lee on July 5, 2005 at 12:13 AM (CDT)

“maybe the thief had specific taste for iPod users listening to Wacko Jacko and/or other crap(-ish) music”

He is weird now. But that is still one of the biggest selling albums of all time. He was a good song writer and singer at one point…

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on July 5, 2005 at 9:38 AM (CDT)

In my mind, is it REALLY WORTH killing someone so you can have their iPod? :|
Shut up and buy your own!
What is the world coming to?
I mean, gosh, it doesn’t even have your own music on it! (All kidding aside, it’s terrible what happened, and I feel bad for Christopher Rose’s family.)
Watch out, people.

Posted by Noah on July 5, 2005 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

“In my mind, is it REALLY WORTH killing someone so you can have their iPod?”

That question makes it sound like there are things worth killing somone for, just maybe not an iPod.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on July 5, 2005 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

it did? omg…mornings…
CORRECTION: there are NO reasons to kill people, ESPECIALLY for their iPods.
silly me….

Posted by Noah on July 5, 2005 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

note to self- stop using forums….

Posted by Noah on July 5, 2005 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

I think that it is really sad that people think that they can just go around herting and killing for anything, i mean come on if you dont have enough money to buy an ipod, stick with a CD player for now.

Posted by Camesha on July 12, 2005 at 4:58 AM (CDT)