Mix: Reportage, iPhone security benchmark, WiFi Cafe Spots, iPhone patents
WhereCloud has announced its new application, Reportage described as a “radically different” Twitter client for the iPhone. Instead of the traditional timeline view, Reportage lays out a Twitter feed using a radio paradigm, with friends appearing as “radio stations” that you can “tune in to.” Reportage is $3 and is available from the App Store.
The nonprofit Center for Internet Security yesterday released a consensus security benchmark for the iPhone aimed at helping IT managers and users reduce the risk of stored data being compromised. This free benchmark takes users through more a series of more than 20 simple recommendations for iPhone settings and iPhone Configuration Utility policies that can help to improve security and reduce the chances of a remote attack. The iPhone benchmark applies to iPhone OS v2.2.1 and the iPhone Configuration Utility v1.1.043. [via Computerworld]
A new application, WiFi Cafe Spots provides a database of over 14,000 cafes and restaurants with free Wi-Fi access. The database includes locations in the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia, and is stored directly on the iPhone or iPod touch so that it can be used without requiring Internet access. The app supports location-based services to find a Wi-Fi hotspot near the present location or users can search by city or postal code. WiFi Cafe Spots is $3 and is available from the App Store.
Apple has won another iPhone-related patent, this time for the original iPhone’s casing design, highlighting elements such as a divided construction and the top and bottom ports. Assorted speakers, buttons, and the position of the camera can also be seen in the patent diagrams. Several individuals are credited for the work, including Apple’s lead designer Jonathan Ive and CEO Steve Jobs. [via MacNN]
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?