Mix: Rogers, Wal-Mart, iPhone 2.2, Credit Card, David Cook
Reporting its third quarter financial results, Canadian iPhone carrier Rogers revealed that it activated around 255,000 iPhone 3Gs in the quarter. The activations, about one-third of which were new subscribers, helped the company post an 84 percent boost in quarterly profit. Overall, the company added 191,000 new subscribers during the quarter.
Wal-Mart has re-launched its DRM-free MP3 downloads store, with select top songs available for as little as $0.74 per track. The company has also added an iTunes-like free track of the week, and support for both Firefox and Safari browsers (the store was previously IE-only). In addition, it will begin offering a free MP3 track with every CD purchase—both in-store and online—beginning in mid-November. Wal-Mart claims it now offers more than 3 million MP3 tracks.
According to a screenshot posted to the Greek website iPhone Hellas, iPhone Software 2.2 will prompt users to rate an application when deleting it from their iPhone or iPod touch. The screenshot shows a standard iPhone alert box, asking the user to “Please rate [App Name] before deleting,” and instructing them to tap a star (from one to five) to rate the app. Buttons at the bottom allow the user to say “No Thanks” or to rate the app.
Inner Fence has released its new Credit Card Terminal application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Terminal allows users to process credit card payments through Authorize.Net directly from their device, operating over Wi-Fi, 3G, or EDGE connections. Credit Card Terminal is available now from the App Store and sells for $50.
USA Today reports that American Idol winner David Cook will release a special $2 version of his single “Light On” through iTunes this week that will include a lighter application for the iPhone and iPod touch. According to the report, the application will begin playing the song as soon as the user lights the virtual lighter. As of this writing, the enhanced single has yet to appear on the iTunes Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple content delivery network for faster downloads now live in US, Europe
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks