Mix: Rogers, Wal-Mart, iPhone 2.2, Credit Card, David Cook
Reporting its third quarter financial results, Canadian iPhone carrier Rogers revealed that it activated around 255,000 iPhone 3Gs in the quarter. The activations, about one-third of which were new subscribers, helped the company post an 84 percent boost in quarterly profit. Overall, the company added 191,000 new subscribers during the quarter.
Wal-Mart has re-launched its DRM-free MP3 downloads store, with select top songs available for as little as $0.74 per track. The company has also added an iTunes-like free track of the week, and support for both Firefox and Safari browsers (the store was previously IE-only). In addition, it will begin offering a free MP3 track with every CD purchase—both in-store and online—beginning in mid-November. Wal-Mart claims it now offers more than 3 million MP3 tracks.
According to a screenshot posted to the Greek website iPhone Hellas, iPhone Software 2.2 will prompt users to rate an application when deleting it from their iPhone or iPod touch. The screenshot shows a standard iPhone alert box, asking the user to “Please rate [App Name] before deleting,” and instructing them to tap a star (from one to five) to rate the app. Buttons at the bottom allow the user to say “No Thanks” or to rate the app.
Inner Fence has released its new Credit Card Terminal application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Terminal allows users to process credit card payments through Authorize.Net directly from their device, operating over Wi-Fi, 3G, or EDGE connections. Credit Card Terminal is available now from the App Store and sells for $50.
USA Today reports that American Idol winner David Cook will release a special $2 version of his single “Light On” through iTunes this week that will include a lighter application for the iPhone and iPod touch. According to the report, the application will begin playing the song as soon as the user lights the virtual lighter. As of this writing, the enhanced single has yet to appear on the iTunes Store.
- Apple wants networks to handle streaming for its web TV service
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?