Mix: Safari Distribution, MySpace Music, EverGreen, ToneShop
Apple recently began distributing version 3.1 of its Safari web browser to Windows users via its Software Update application, which it also uses to update iTunes and QuickTime. While company spokesperson Bill Evans said Apple was “using Software Update to make it easy and convenient for both Mac and Windows users to get the latest Safari update,” the decision to offer the software as an “update,” even to users who had not previously installed Safari, has raised concerns among some users. Mozilla CEO John Lilly wrote on his blog, “What Apple is doing now with their Apple Software Update on Windows is wrong. It undermines the trust relationship great companies have with their customers, and that’s bad — not just for Apple, but for the security of the whole Web.”
According to a New York Post report, MySpace is nearing deals with Sony BMG and Warner Music Group to launch a digital music venture. Citing multiple anonymous sources, the report claims that no money is expected to change hands in the deal, with the labels instead taking minority equity stakes in MySpace Music, with the possibility of receiving a portion of the advertising revenue MySpace owner News Corp. plans to generate with the service. MySpace Music is expected to offer a mix of pay-per-download and ad-supported video and audio. [via Cnet]
EverGreen Electronics has announced that it is expanding its iPod Recycling Program worldwide. “There has been such a rush of interest from the global community about our iPod Recycling Program that we felt that expanding it was our only option” reports Richard Hauf, CEO of EverGreen Electronics. “Keeping brominated compounds and other potentially-hazardous components, which are found in iPods and iPhones, out of landfills around the globe is an important part of our mission at EverGreen Electronics.”
Techlogg.com has released a new version of its ToneShop ringtone utility for Windows, which now features the ability to create iPhone-compatible ringtone files. ToneShop can create ringtones in MP3, standard AAC , WAV, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MMF, and now Apple iPhone M4R formats. ToneShop Build 9 is available now as a free download.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?