Mix: Samsung, nano hacking, Kanye West, nano praise
Samsung has introduced a new high-capacity flash memory chip that could “let Apple and other makers of portable electronic devices pack more data into less failure-prone gadgets,” reports the AP. “The 16-gigabit NAND flash memory chip, equivalent to 2 gigabytes of storage, doubles a chip Samsung introduced last September.”
Make magazine has posted an article on how to hack the iPod nano. “The new iPod nano is out and while it’s not as hackable (yet) as it’s older cousins, you can do a few things like change the text strings, mod the font and even change the graphics (sorta). Here’s How to mod a pod, a work in progress for the iPod nano.”
Apple has reportedly cut the Kanye West performance from the QuickTime stream of its special event in San Francisco.
“The iPod nano is the slickest of the already-slick iPod model lineup. The pictures don’t do it justice,” says Mike Wendland for the Detroit Free Press. “You have to hold it in your hand. It is so slim—about the width of a No. 2 pencil—that the first reaction of everyone I have shown it to has been, “Whoa!” Or something very similar.”
From an engineering and design standpoint, the nano is truly a marvel,” writes Larry Magid for CBS News. “Apple took advantage of advances in both memory and battery technology to build an incredibly small music player. Compared to the mini it replaces, about the only downside I can think of is that the nano’s small size will make it easier to lose and break.”
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?