Mix: Samsung, nano hacking, Kanye West, nano praise
Samsung has introduced a new high-capacity flash memory chip that could “let Apple and other makers of portable electronic devices pack more data into less failure-prone gadgets,” reports the AP. “The 16-gigabit NAND flash memory chip, equivalent to 2 gigabytes of storage, doubles a chip Samsung introduced last September.”
Make magazine has posted an article on how to hack the iPod nano. “The new iPod nano is out and while it’s not as hackable (yet) as it’s older cousins, you can do a few things like change the text strings, mod the font and even change the graphics (sorta). Here’s How to mod a pod, a work in progress for the iPod nano.”
Apple has reportedly cut the Kanye West performance from the QuickTime stream of its special event in San Francisco.
“The iPod nano is the slickest of the already-slick iPod model lineup. The pictures don’t do it justice,” says Mike Wendland for the Detroit Free Press. “You have to hold it in your hand. It is so slim—about the width of a No. 2 pencil—that the first reaction of everyone I have shown it to has been, “Whoa!” Or something very similar.”
From an engineering and design standpoint, the nano is truly a marvel,” writes Larry Magid for CBS News. “Apple took advantage of advances in both memory and battery technology to build an incredibly small music player. Compared to the mini it replaces, about the only downside I can think of is that the nano’s small size will make it easier to lose and break.”
- App Store prices going up in Australia, Indonesia and Sweden
- Apple’s antitrust monitor is leaving for good
- Happy Columbus Day + Canadian Thanksgiving!
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?