Mix: SanDisk, CandyShell touch, ESPN, iPhone survey
SanDisk CEO Eli Harari has admitted that his company is unlikely to ever surpass Apple in MP3 player market share. In an interview with Fortune, Harari said, “You can’t out-iPod the iPod.” Despite the admission, SanDisk remains the number two MP3 manufacturer, with its Sansa players outselling other well-known rivals such as the Microsoft Zune. Perhaps more importantly, the report notes, the Sansa helped legitimize flash memory as a storage technology for mobile devices, which in turn sparked licensing demand for SanDisk’s patents. Apple’s iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, and iPhone all use flash-based storage.
Speck has announced that its CandyShell case for the second-generation iPod touch is now available. The hybrid case features a one-piece design with a soft rubber interior and hard outer shell in contrasting colors, protection for the sleep/wake and volume buttons, and open access to all other ports and controls. Available in two colors, Speck’s CandyShell for iPod touch 2G sells for $35; for more information, see our full review.
ESPN has released its new ESPN ScoreCenter application for the iPhone and iPod touch. ScoreCenter offers users up-to-date scoring for more than 500 sports leagues around the world, including MLB, NFL, NBA, Premier League, NASCAR, Golf, Tennis, and more, as well as game details such as stats, leaderboards, box scores, and scoring summaries. ESPN ScoreCenter is available now as a free download from the App Store.
The iPhone is the fifth most popular mobile phone brand globally among teens, the first time Apple’s phone has appeared in the top ten, according to a new survey. The Global Habbo Youth Survey 2009, conducted in April for the online virtual world Habbo Hotel, queried 112,000 teenagers in 30 countries and found that Nokia leads the market, but was down to 21% of responses compared to 29% a year ago, followed by Sony Ericsson, which also slipped, from 21% to 18%. Motorola dropped from third last year to sixth in this year’s rankings; RIM’s BlackBerry also made the top ten for the first time ever.
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?