Mix: Santa Steve, Shuffle Case, Cars/Pirates, Microsoft Zune | iLounge News

Mix: Santa Steve, Shuffle Case, Cars/Pirates, Microsoft Zune

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, November 6, 2006
News Categories:

All Apple employees, from corporate to retail, will reportedly receive a second-generation iPod shuffle as a gift from the company. According to AppleInsider, Apple CEO Steve Jobs sent out a company-wide email last week telling employees to expect their new shuffles by the end of the month.

A member of the Instructables website has found that the case that comes with Apple’s iPod In-Ear Headphones will also work great as a travel case for the second-generation iPod shuffle.

Buena Vista Worldwide Home Entertainment reaffirmed today that Disney/Pixar’s “Cars,” the No. 1 animated film of the year, and Walt Disney Pictures’ “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” the No. 1 motion picture of the year, will be available for download from the iTunes Store. “Cars” will be available Nov. 7th, while “Pirates” will be available on Dec. 5th.

A recent survey conducted by ABI Research claims that many iPod owners are likely to consider purchasing Microsoft’s Zune player. “1725 teenage and adult US residents were asked whether they planned to buy an MP3 player in the next 12 months,” says ABI. “Of those responding that they were likely to do so, 58% of those identifying themselves as existing iPod owners and 59% of those who owned other brands said they would be ‘somewhat likely’ or ‘extremely likely’ to choose a Microsoft Zune player over an iPod or another brand of MP3 player.”

« Microsoft to offer TV shows, movies through Xbox service

New 2G iPod nano cases debut in iLounge Buyers’ Guide »

Comments

I likely consider buying lotto tickets, and never do.  I have likely considered buying a new Jeep, but haven’t.  I likely considered buying some of that new, holiday chocolate beer, and did.  That’s $7 I’ll never get back.  So the point is, I would “likely consider” just about anything.  Did Microsoft actually need to pay for that research to figure that out?

Posted by genius on November 6, 2006 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

Hey, it’s likely that I’ve considered purchasing an MS Zune too. It is likely that this urge only lasted until I used a Windows Machine or a Windows Mobile-based Smartphone and then it is likely to have gone away.

I truely hope that the Zune team create a product which is better than the Smartphones or Windows, but I’m very sceptical that they can pull it off; They may have gotten close with the XBox, but they were up against Sony then; a company which knows about as much about User Interfacing as they do about Fair Use of Media.

Posted by Daniel Woods on November 6, 2006 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

I thought about getting a Zune, but then I had a brain fart. I can’t wait to get away from this Microsoft PC and get an Apple!

Posted by JW on November 6, 2006 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

Considering they’ve been taking pre-orders on “Cars” and “Pirates 2” since they launched the availability of movies on iTunes… is it really news that they’ll be available on iTunes????

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on November 6, 2006 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

Well dur, Dead Man’s Chest and Cars have both been on pre-order for about a month.

Posted by BWillman on November 6, 2006 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

I am looking for a slim case that will hold both my Nano 2nd edition and the ear buds that came with it.

Posted by Libby on November 6, 2006 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

I’m considering the Zune.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 6, 2006 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

^^^ Appropriate name then ^^^

Posted by Warren Piece on November 6, 2006 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

Well, when you’re a marketing research firm and you land a client like Microsoft, I don’t think you’d want to upset them with your findings that their product sucks balls.  That would be business suicide.

Posted by Nick G on November 6, 2006 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

“ABI Research was founded in 1990 to assist manufacturers of wireless semiconductor components in understanding and entering new markets.” - http://www.abiresearch.com/about.jsp

So, who want’s to take bets? I bet the questions asked were deliberately leading, like “Given the choice, would you choose an MP3 player with wireless capabilites over one without?”

Posted by m.s. on November 6, 2006 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

I also considered buying a Zune. Saw one tonight at Target.I also am considering a Creative and another Toshiba.Doesn’t mean I am going to,  though. I like my 2nd gen iPod 10 gig a lot!!!
Also own an m:robe and a Dell DJ20.

Posted by JeffreyP on November 6, 2006 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

It was a working demo display.

Posted by JeffreyP on November 6, 2006 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

I still have to save and collect all ipod models. So I hope, zune will be around by the time I am done collecting all ipod models.

Posted by jay dj on November 6, 2006 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

Why the heck would you need all the Ipods?

Posted by Tom Savini on November 7, 2006 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

“Many iPod owners are likely to consider purchasing Microsoft’s Zune player.”
B-B-B-BULLS**T!

Posted by K. Pilkington on November 7, 2006 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

People, please read more than just the subject line. It said this majority stated they’d be likely to choose a Microsoft Zune player over an iPod or another brand of MP3 player. That sounds like more than whimsical consideration.

Of course, how people answer surveys isn’t always what they actually do.

Posted by bdb on November 7, 2006 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Perhaps the question was “Would you consider a Zune over an iPod if they threw in free music for life and free college tuition for you or a relative?”

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on November 7, 2006 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I’m not interested so much in the Zune, but I am interested in the Xbox 360’s rental model for movie downloads. That’s way more appealing than buying movies on the iTS. There’s very few films I’ve seen more than once, and I doubt I can name more than a handful of films I’ve seen more than twice. I actually do own some movies on DVD, perhaps 20 or so, but some of those were gifts (some I’ve never watched), and the rest were from when DVDs couldn’t be rented and I had to buy them in order to see them. I hope Apple gets a clue and offers movies for rent via iTS. Then I’ll be interested.

Posted by SteveJ on November 7, 2006 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

I have ZERO interest in pre-release surveys like this. They’re meaningless. What I want to see are the SALES numbers.

I expect most Zune users to be happy with their purchase. I also expect most iPod users to be happy with their purchase. I would be shocked if a sizable percentage of iPod owners switch to the Zune.

Microsoft expects the Zune to lose money for several years, and I think they’re right. Even if the initial Zune is deemed a “failure,” Microsoft will stay in this fight, and spend more money to improve their future Zunes. As an iPod fan, I’m excited.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 7, 2006 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

Hm, 58%, eh? I call BS. But hey, I could be wrong: if you tell a lie often enough and loud enough and hard enough…

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on November 7, 2006 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >