Mix: Screech, Sony Bean, AKG K27i headphones, iPod love | iLounge News

Mix: Screech, Sony Bean, AKG K27i headphones, iPod love

Apple has added 90’s TV show “Saved By the Bell” and early segments from “Schoolhouse Rock.”

Another iPod casualty: Sony said that its Bean MP3 player, which was launched at the end of last August, will be discontinued in April.

Earphone Solutions is offering a free pair of AKG K27i headphones ($70 value) with the purchase of the UM2 earphones. Add both to your cart and enter the coupon code FREEK27ILOUNGEUM2.

USA Today’s Laura Vanderkam writes: “Modern youth culture’s love affair with the iPod may explain why this holiday will be lonelier for many people of my generation.”

« EvolutionTV gets real-time video compression for iPod

Warner Music Group sees strong digital sales »

Comments

I want more current video.  How about the NBC nightly news?  ABC is ok, but I would gladly pay for a news subscription.  Package something like NBC Nightly News and Dateline for $10 a month.

Posted by duckingshire on February 14, 2006 at 3:09 PM (CST)

YAY FOR SCREECH!!!

Posted by Zach Morris on February 14, 2006 at 3:48 PM (CST)

I would like to send my condolences to Sony’s Bean, but that would give the impression that I actually GAVE a crap.

It’s your OWN fault, Sony. You snooze, you lose!

Posted by ahMEmon on February 14, 2006 at 3:54 PM (CST)

No offence, but the Sony Bean and iPod Shuffle are both crap and pointless MP3 players.

Posted by John Stevens on February 14, 2006 at 4:15 PM (CST)

Sorry to Sony for their loss of the BEAN… But hey look on the bright side, now we can get SCREECH on our Ipods!!! Good job Steve Jobs and the folks over their at iTunes for making this happen… best thing since the iPod videos came out!!! Now we can have real shows on our devices!!!!

Posted by Lisa Turtle on February 14, 2006 at 5:07 PM (CST)

I work for Sony (Sony Centre) and have to say we do not sell hardly any Beans. Neither am I impressed by the Bean.

I myself own a 5G iPod:P

Although, I would like to take not that the sound quality on Sony MP3 players is far more better than any iPod on the market.
But a big problem with the Sony devices is software (Its awful - Thats Microsoft)

Hopefuly thats not biased - as I try to keep my opinion and ‘work’ opinion seperate:P

Posted by Ian on February 14, 2006 at 5:32 PM (CST)

I am on my third iPod, and can honestly say that although the iPod doesn’t have the best quality sound (that goes to Creative and possible Sony) it does have the best overall experience, with it’s tight integration with iTunes.

I would very much like to see more open standards and some competition to the iPod, but it seems like more and more of these OTHER DAP will fall by the wayside until SOMEONE (hopefully) can get it right.

Until then, gimme my iPod!

Posted by ahMEmon on February 15, 2006 at 8:19 AM (CST)

it will be interesting to see if all the less successful companies come up with some type of standard to help sell a new service. that might explain why so many players are being discontinued; maybe MS will come to the market with a more unified approach. whatever. I’m happy with iTMS+ipod+powerbook.

Posted by m on February 15, 2006 at 12:44 PM (CST)

WOW!  $300 for a set of earphones!  I’m sure they’re noise cancelling or something; I don’t know cause after seeing the price I didn’t bother with the details.

Posted by 3rdEye on February 15, 2006 at 1:22 PM (CST)

WOW!  $300 for a set of earphones!

Uh, I’d hate to see how you’d react to Ultimate Ears’ or Sensaphonics’ upper end price tags.

Posted by flatline response on February 16, 2006 at 4:38 AM (CST)

Hey flatline response, aren’t you on headfi?

3rd Eye: They’re not noise-cancelling, they’re better. They’re basically ear plugs with tiny, good earphones in them. I have a cheaper single-driver version from a different company, and I cannot tell you how much more tolerable it makes walking in the city, public transportation, travelling, and shopping in malls. I think everyone with ears needs some version or another. :)

Posted by lena on February 16, 2006 at 6:07 PM (CST)