Mix: Skyhook, Stanford, iPhone robbery, Kindle update
Skyhook Wireless, provider of the iPhone and iPod touch’s Wi-Fi-based location services, has released a report in which it claims that location-aware apps on BlackBerry’s App World service cost roughly four times as much, on average, as those offered on the App Store or Android Marketplace. The study found that the average price of a location-aware app in BlackBerry App World is $13.60, compared with $3.60 in the App Store and $0.84 in the Android Marketplace. In addition, the App Store had the highest number of location-aware apps—over 2,300—and the highest percentage of paid for location-aware apps, at over 75%. By comparison, 67% of BlackBerry location-aware apps are paid, while 80% of location-aware apps on the Android Marketplace are free. More information is available in the full report (PDF Link).
Stanford University’s iPhone Application Programming CS193P class has become the fastest iTunes U class to hit one million downloads, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “I had a feeling this class would be popular but the level of popularity is surprising,” said Troy Brant, one of the graduate student instructors for the course. The course has been offered on iTunes U since April 1, and is only one of roughly 100 courses offered by the university through iTunes U. “This one by far grew more rapidly in public response and interest” than other classes, said Brent Izutsu, manager of Stanford’s iTunes U offerings. “I know (Stanford physicist) Leonard Susskind has several hundred thousand downloads but that was over 12 quarters.”
A pair of men have been arrested in connection with a recent robbery of an AT&T store in Lake Forest, CA. At 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 14, two armed men robbed the AT&T store on El Toro Road, forcing employees to lock the doors and hand over several packages of cellphones and cash, including roughly 70 iPhones. The men were arrested between Saturday evening and Monday morning on suspicion of robbery and kidnapping; Orange County Sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino said none of the iPhones have been recovered, and were likely sent to other countries.
Amazon has released version 1.1 of its Kindle book reading application for iPhone and iPod touch. New in version 1.1 is the ability to read in portrait or landscape mode, to pinch to zoom in on images in books, to select alternate background and text colors to improve low-light readability, and the ability to tap the sides of the screen or flick to turn pages. Amazon’s Kindle for iPhone application is available now as a free download from the App Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?