Mix: Skyhook, Stanford, iPhone robbery, Kindle update
Skyhook Wireless, provider of the iPhone and iPod touch’s Wi-Fi-based location services, has released a report in which it claims that location-aware apps on BlackBerry’s App World service cost roughly four times as much, on average, as those offered on the App Store or Android Marketplace. The study found that the average price of a location-aware app in BlackBerry App World is $13.60, compared with $3.60 in the App Store and $0.84 in the Android Marketplace. In addition, the App Store had the highest number of location-aware apps—over 2,300—and the highest percentage of paid for location-aware apps, at over 75%. By comparison, 67% of BlackBerry location-aware apps are paid, while 80% of location-aware apps on the Android Marketplace are free. More information is available in the full report (PDF Link).
Stanford University’s iPhone Application Programming CS193P class has become the fastest iTunes U class to hit one million downloads, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “I had a feeling this class would be popular but the level of popularity is surprising,” said Troy Brant, one of the graduate student instructors for the course. The course has been offered on iTunes U since April 1, and is only one of roughly 100 courses offered by the university through iTunes U. “This one by far grew more rapidly in public response and interest” than other classes, said Brent Izutsu, manager of Stanford’s iTunes U offerings. “I know (Stanford physicist) Leonard Susskind has several hundred thousand downloads but that was over 12 quarters.”
A pair of men have been arrested in connection with a recent robbery of an AT&T store in Lake Forest, CA. At 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 14, two armed men robbed the AT&T store on El Toro Road, forcing employees to lock the doors and hand over several packages of cellphones and cash, including roughly 70 iPhones. The men were arrested between Saturday evening and Monday morning on suspicion of robbery and kidnapping; Orange County Sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino said none of the iPhones have been recovered, and were likely sent to other countries.
Amazon has released version 1.1 of its Kindle book reading application for iPhone and iPod touch. New in version 1.1 is the ability to read in portrait or landscape mode, to pinch to zoom in on images in books, to select alternate background and text colors to improve low-light readability, and the ability to tap the sides of the screen or flick to turn pages. Amazon’s Kindle for iPhone application is available now as a free download from the App Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks