Mix: Softbank, MobileMe, Sony BMG, Tap Tap Revenge
Softbank has announced that iPhone users in Japan will now pay less for their service depending on their internet use. The company will begin offering plans as for as little as 2,990 yen (~$28) a month, less than half the cost of the lowest plan available at the device’s introduction. Softbank said the new pricing will kick in for all iPhone users next month, and that users will pay on a staggered scale, up to the 7,280 yen (~$67) charged for unlimited use. In addition, the AP reports that the company will start accepting reservations for the currently-sold out phone on Wednesday.
In an internal email, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has admitted to some of the flaws in the company’s launch of its MobileMe service. “It was a mistake to launch MobileMe at the same time as iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store,” Jobs said. “We all had more than enough to do, and MobileMe could have been delayed without consequence.” Jobs is also restructuring the MobileMe team, with the group now reporting to Eddy Cue, the former vice president of iTunes who will now oversee iTunes, the App Store, and MobileMe as leader of the company’s Internet services.
Update: SetteB.IT has posted a screenshot of the complete email from Steve Jobs.
Bertelsmann AG has announced that it will sell its 50% stake in Sony BMG to Sony for $1.2 billion, giving Sony full ownership of the music label. According to the announcement, the new company will be called Sony Music Entertainment and will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corp. of America. “Music has been a vital and vibrant part of Sony’s culture for over 20 years. This acquisition will allow us to achieve a deeper and more robust integration between the wide-ranging global assets of the music company and Sony’s products, operating companies and affiliates,” Sony CEO Howard Stringer said in a statement.
Tapulous’ Tap Tap Revenge game for the iPhone and iPod touch has likely become the first application to cross the 1 million unique downloads mark, a number it reached late last week, according to information provided to iLounge by the company. The music-based game allows users to tap in rhythm on markers moving across the screen — somewhat similar to Guitar Hero or Rock Band — and also offers downloadable tracks. Tap Tap Revenge is available as a free download from the App Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Foxconn struggling to meet demand for iPhone 6
- Apple to require app-specific passwords for third-party apps in iCloud
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels