Mix: Softbank, MobileMe, Sony BMG, Tap Tap Revenge
Softbank has announced that iPhone users in Japan will now pay less for their service depending on their internet use. The company will begin offering plans as for as little as 2,990 yen (~$28) a month, less than half the cost of the lowest plan available at the device’s introduction. Softbank said the new pricing will kick in for all iPhone users next month, and that users will pay on a staggered scale, up to the 7,280 yen (~$67) charged for unlimited use. In addition, the AP reports that the company will start accepting reservations for the currently-sold out phone on Wednesday.
In an internal email, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has admitted to some of the flaws in the company’s launch of its MobileMe service. “It was a mistake to launch MobileMe at the same time as iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store,” Jobs said. “We all had more than enough to do, and MobileMe could have been delayed without consequence.” Jobs is also restructuring the MobileMe team, with the group now reporting to Eddy Cue, the former vice president of iTunes who will now oversee iTunes, the App Store, and MobileMe as leader of the company’s Internet services.
Update: SetteB.IT has posted a screenshot of the complete email from Steve Jobs.
Bertelsmann AG has announced that it will sell its 50% stake in Sony BMG to Sony for $1.2 billion, giving Sony full ownership of the music label. According to the announcement, the new company will be called Sony Music Entertainment and will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corp. of America. “Music has been a vital and vibrant part of Sony’s culture for over 20 years. This acquisition will allow us to achieve a deeper and more robust integration between the wide-ranging global assets of the music company and Sony’s products, operating companies and affiliates,” Sony CEO Howard Stringer said in a statement.
Tapulous’ Tap Tap Revenge game for the iPhone and iPod touch has likely become the first application to cross the 1 million unique downloads mark, a number it reached late last week, according to information provided to iLounge by the company. The music-based game allows users to tap in rhythm on markers moving across the screen — somewhat similar to Guitar Hero or Rock Band — and also offers downloadable tracks. Tap Tap Revenge is available as a free download from the App Store.
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!