Mix: Spore Apology, MTS Russia, Another 3G lawsuit
For the first time ever, Apple is emailing Click Wheel iPod users who purchased Spore Origins to notify them of an updated version, which is automatically added to the user’s iTunes Store download queue. The email reads, “The iPod Click Wheel game “Spore Origins” you recently purchased may not function properly on your iPod nano (3rd generation), iPod classic, or iPod (5th generation). We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase, so we have placed an updated version of “Spore Origins” in your download queue.” Spore Origins was pulled from the iTunes Store shortly after its release due to a bug that caused the game to lock up on iPod classic and some fifth-generation iPod models; the game has since been updated and is once again available on the iTunes Store.
Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), Russia’s largest cellular operator, has become the country’s third carrier to announce that it has reached an agreement with Apple to offer the iPhone in Russia. “Sales of iPhones in Russia will start this year,” the company said in a statement. Rival carriers MegaFon and Vimpelcom have also announced they will begin sales of the handset later this year.
A third lawsuit has been filed against Apple and AT&T accusing the companies of misrepresenting iPhone 3G speeds and network performance and failing to disclose “defective” third-party apps on the App Store. Relying in part on Internet reports as proof, plaintiff Eulardi Tanseco claims that Apple and AT&T violated New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act, its Uniform Commercial Code and the terms of its contract by knowingly advertising service they couldn’t maintain. The suit is seeking class action status, and is asking for both compensation and punitive damages.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels