Mix: Spotify, AVG, $1 million app, Toshiba
Swedish music streaming service Spotify is planning to launch an application for the iPhone and iPod touch, and has already submitted it to the App Store for approval, reports BBC News. Spotify is a streaming music service offering millions of songs, and offers both free, ad-supported service and a premium service that costs £9.99, or roughly $16.50, a month that removes all advertisements. The company’s iPhone application is designed to be used with the premium plan, and would allow users to create a playlist of songs to listen to and then temporarily store it on the device for playback without the need for an Internet connection. Apple has yet to approve the application.
Windows antivirus software AVG sent out a database update over the weekend that caused problems for many iTunes users. AppleInsider reports that the update mistakenly viewed iTunes library files as Trojan viruses, placing them in quarantine. “Unfortunately, a recent virus database update resulted in iTunes being detected as a Trojan by AVG security products,” said AVG. “We can confirm that it was a false alarm. AVG immediately released a new virus database update (definition file 270.13.29/2260) that corrected this issue.”
Social Gaming Networks’ F.A.S.T. aerial dogfight game for the iPhone and iPod touch has generated more than $1 million in download fees for the company, TechCrunch reports. SGN has changed the price of the game several times since its release in early June, starting the title off at $10 but lowering down as far as $2, which remains its current price point. The report also states that the company plans to add in-game purchases of weapons and jet upgrades in a future version.
Toshiba is expected to ramp up its NAND flash production to 90% of its capacity next month, possibly in response to a large order from Apple. DigiTimes reports that despite the production increase, Toshiba has told other interested parties that its supply will be limited, suggesting that the majority of the new chips will go to a larger partner. Apple executives announced during the latest conference call that the company had made a $500 million prepayment to Toshiba for NAND flash, and the company’s seasonal release of new iPods has in the past prompted flash shortages, however, it is unclear whether the entirety of this NAND flash order is for iPod models or for some yet-unannounced flash-based product. [via Mac Rumors]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?