Mix: Steve Jobs, iReruns, Motorola podcast, MP3 player sales
In an interview with The New York Times earlier this week, Apple CEO Steve Jobs acknowledged the about-face he made on his view of portable video. “Jobs said he was entering the video market as an experiment, but one that he felt he could not lose because the players will sell well on their music-playing features alone.”
Time magazine’s James Poniewozik has an interesting idea for the TV shows on iTunes. “Why not let people pay $1.99—or more—to watch a show the day before it airs? Sure, some folks might pony up for a glorified rerun. But how many Lost fanatics would gladly pay every week—essentially subscribing to a network show—for the chance to find out whether Michelle Rodriguez is evil, or why Daniel Dae-Kim is suddenly speaking English? A day late, a Survivor elimination is old news; a day early, it’s insider information.”
Motorola will release a podcast for its iTunes-enabled ROKR mobile phone next week that will feature legally-licensed music from big name music acts. The company describes the inclusion of such music as: “Marking another step towards full legitimacy of a format frequently branded ‘the new pirate radio.’”
Research firm IDC says global sales of digital music players are expected to increase to nearly 1 billion units a year in 2009. IDC forecasts sales of compressed audio players (everything from MP3 players to DVD devices) will reach 945.5 million units worth $145.4 billion in 2009, up from 224.9 units worth $46.7 billion in 2004. The portable flash player category is expected to grow to 124 million units in 2009 from 26.4 million in 2004.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?