Mix: T-Mobile, iPhone 3G testing, 3G speeds survey, Video boombox
T-Mobile has announced that it has sold more than 120,000 iPhone 3Gs since the device went on sale July 11. “Our (sales) expectations were surpassed,” said Deutsche Telekom chief Hamid Akhavan, noting that it has sold 75,000 units in Germany alone. T-Mobile also offers the iPhone in Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, the Netherlands and Croatia.
In response to recent reports of iPhone 3G reception problems, Swedish newspaper The Gothenburg Post had the device’s antenna tested against those of the Sony Ericsson P1 and Nokia N73. The test, performed by Bluetest, a company that produces cellular testing chambers, showed that while the P1 and N73 were better at receiving and sending signals, respectively, the differences between them were small, suggesting that the iPhone 3G’s antenna is not to blame for current reception difficulties. “The values are completely normal,” said Magnus Franzén, an antenna engineer with an M.Sc. in Engineering Physics.
Wired has posted the results of its informal iPhone 3G speed survey, which found that 3G connection speeds varied by region. European T-Mobile users reported the fastest speeds, averaging 1,882 Kbps, followed by Rogers and Fido in Canada, with an average of 1,330 Kbps. AT&T in the U.S., Telstra, Telia, and Softbank tied for third, with average download speeds of roughly 990 Kpbs. More than 2,600 users participated in the survey.
Popular Mechanics has posted an interesting DIY article explaining how to build an waterproof iPod video boombox. Cobbled together from a variety of products, the final solution includes parts from a Memorex iFlip video player, an Apple composite video cable, a watertight hard camera case, and a set of portable speakers.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?