Mix: T-Mobile, iPhone 3G testing, 3G speeds survey, Video boombox
T-Mobile has announced that it has sold more than 120,000 iPhone 3Gs since the device went on sale July 11. “Our (sales) expectations were surpassed,” said Deutsche Telekom chief Hamid Akhavan, noting that it has sold 75,000 units in Germany alone. T-Mobile also offers the iPhone in Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, the Netherlands and Croatia.
In response to recent reports of iPhone 3G reception problems, Swedish newspaper The Gothenburg Post had the device’s antenna tested against those of the Sony Ericsson P1 and Nokia N73. The test, performed by Bluetest, a company that produces cellular testing chambers, showed that while the P1 and N73 were better at receiving and sending signals, respectively, the differences between them were small, suggesting that the iPhone 3G’s antenna is not to blame for current reception difficulties. “The values are completely normal,” said Magnus Franzén, an antenna engineer with an M.Sc. in Engineering Physics.
Wired has posted the results of its informal iPhone 3G speed survey, which found that 3G connection speeds varied by region. European T-Mobile users reported the fastest speeds, averaging 1,882 Kbps, followed by Rogers and Fido in Canada, with an average of 1,330 Kbps. AT&T in the U.S., Telstra, Telia, and Softbank tied for third, with average download speeds of roughly 990 Kpbs. More than 2,600 users participated in the survey.
Popular Mechanics has posted an interesting DIY article explaining how to build an waterproof iPod video boombox. Cobbled together from a variety of products, the final solution includes parts from a Memorex iFlip video player, an Apple composite video cable, a watertight hard camera case, and a set of portable speakers.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0