Mix: T-Mobile, Jailbreak, Ringtones, Etchstar, PopSci
Our friends at iFun.de have informed us that T-Mobile in Germany is planning to add automatic recognition of T-Mobile iPhones to its HotSpot Wi-Fi access points in the near future, eliminating the need for users to authenticate through a not-iPhone-optimized site. A T-Mobile spokesperson told them the company knows “that this is not a satisfying user experience” and that they “hope to have the automatic recognition up soon.”
A GUI-based jailbreak program for iPhones and iPod touches running software version 1.1.2 has been released. The software, which currently runs on Intel-based Mac OS X machines, requires a downgrade to 1.1.1 for devices that have already been upgraded, or were purchased with 1.1.2 installed.
The combination of iTunes 7.5 and iPhone software 1.1.2 appears to restore limited custom ringtone functionality. Take any .m4a file, thirty-seconds or less, rename it to .m4r, and double-click to add it to iTunes — it appears under Ringtones. Apple has yet to officially release the 1.1.2 update for iPhone and iPod touch through iTunes.
Etchstar, the custom laser-etching service, is now an Apple Value Added Reseller, and is customizing iPods with any art the buyer wants. The company is currently offering new products that arrive pre-etched with art of the buyer’s choice, as well as mail-in service for laptops, iPods, iPhones, and other mp3 players and mobile devices.
Popular Science has named the iPhone the Grand Award Winner in the Gadgets category of its Best of What’s New 2007 list. The article praises the iPhone’s multi-touch interface and ease of use, stating, “The competition looks downright primitive.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- AT&T and Verizon tracking customer web activity
- iOS updates causing Mophie Juice Pack Air compatibility problems?
- FTC launches complaint against AT&T over unlimited data throttling policies
- Apple VP Joswiak testy at Code/Mobile event
- Cook discusses Apple Pay, Watch, iPod classic at WSJD Live
- Apple TV adds Hallmark’s Feeln and A&E’s FYI channels
- Fitbit announces Charge, Charge HR + Surge health and fitness trackers
- Apple looking to expand NFC use beyond Apple Pay
- Some U.S. retailers disabling Apple Pay in favor of other services?
- Uniq Bodycon, LifePro, and Helio for iPhone 6 + Bodycon for iPhone 6 Plus
- Trident Case Aegis, Cyclops, Kraken A.M.S. + Perseus for iPhone 6
- Incipio Stowaway Advance for iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPad Air 2 Smart Case
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Alpine Headphones
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0