Mix: T-Mobile, Jailbreak, Ringtones, Etchstar, PopSci
Our friends at iFun.de have informed us that T-Mobile in Germany is planning to add automatic recognition of T-Mobile iPhones to its HotSpot Wi-Fi access points in the near future, eliminating the need for users to authenticate through a not-iPhone-optimized site. A T-Mobile spokesperson told them the company knows “that this is not a satisfying user experience” and that they “hope to have the automatic recognition up soon.”
A GUI-based jailbreak program for iPhones and iPod touches running software version 1.1.2 has been released. The software, which currently runs on Intel-based Mac OS X machines, requires a downgrade to 1.1.1 for devices that have already been upgraded, or were purchased with 1.1.2 installed.
The combination of iTunes 7.5 and iPhone software 1.1.2 appears to restore limited custom ringtone functionality. Take any .m4a file, thirty-seconds or less, rename it to .m4r, and double-click to add it to iTunes — it appears under Ringtones. Apple has yet to officially release the 1.1.2 update for iPhone and iPod touch through iTunes.
Etchstar, the custom laser-etching service, is now an Apple Value Added Reseller, and is customizing iPods with any art the buyer wants. The company is currently offering new products that arrive pre-etched with art of the buyer’s choice, as well as mail-in service for laptops, iPods, iPhones, and other mp3 players and mobile devices.
Popular Science has named the iPhone the Grand Award Winner in the Gadgets category of its Best of What’s New 2007 list. The article praises the iPhone’s multi-touch interface and ease of use, stating, “The competition looks downright primitive.”
- Report: Apple in talks to launch virtual network service
- Dr. Dre’s new album coming to iTunes, Apple Music on Friday
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Report: Apple plans to use Siri to transcribe voicemails
- Leaked photos suggest thicker, Force Touch-equipped iPhones
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?