Mix: T-Mobile, Jailbreak, Ringtones, Etchstar, PopSci
Our friends at iFun.de have informed us that T-Mobile in Germany is planning to add automatic recognition of T-Mobile iPhones to its HotSpot Wi-Fi access points in the near future, eliminating the need for users to authenticate through a not-iPhone-optimized site. A T-Mobile spokesperson told them the company knows “that this is not a satisfying user experience” and that they “hope to have the automatic recognition up soon.”
A GUI-based jailbreak program for iPhones and iPod touches running software version 1.1.2 has been released. The software, which currently runs on Intel-based Mac OS X machines, requires a downgrade to 1.1.1 for devices that have already been upgraded, or were purchased with 1.1.2 installed.
The combination of iTunes 7.5 and iPhone software 1.1.2 appears to restore limited custom ringtone functionality. Take any .m4a file, thirty-seconds or less, rename it to .m4r, and double-click to add it to iTunes — it appears under Ringtones. Apple has yet to officially release the 1.1.2 update for iPhone and iPod touch through iTunes.
Etchstar, the custom laser-etching service, is now an Apple Value Added Reseller, and is customizing iPods with any art the buyer wants. The company is currently offering new products that arrive pre-etched with art of the buyer’s choice, as well as mail-in service for laptops, iPods, iPhones, and other mp3 players and mobile devices.
Popular Science has named the iPhone the Grand Award Winner in the Gadgets category of its Best of What’s New 2007 list. The article praises the iPhone’s multi-touch interface and ease of use, stating, “The competition looks downright primitive.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pac-Man Friends
- Apple removes Secret app from Brazilian App Store
- Alleged Foxconn leak reveals iPhone 6 dimensions
- Reuters: Backlight redesign disrupted iPhone 6 production
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today