Mix: TechTool Protogo, Apple probe, Nano noise, iPod phone | iLounge News

Mix: TechTool Protogo, Apple probe, Nano noise, iPod phone

Micromat has released TechTool Protogo, a Mac OS X application that lets a user “easily turn an old iPod, a flash drive or other similar device into a bootable diagnostic tool that contains several of Micromat’s utilities.”

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple’s internal investigation into backdated stock options focused on two former executives—former CFO Fred Anderson and former general counsel and board secretary Nancy Heinen.

A number of second-generation iPod nano owners are complaining of high-pitched whining or buzzing sounds coming from the players. Owners of all models—2GB, 4GB and 8GB nanos—have reported the noise.

According to a recent survey by Solutions Research Group, an iPod phone could have the “potential to increase Apple’s customer footprint substantially. Currently just over 20% of Americans 12+ (about 50 million) own an Apple product—within 18 months of the introduction of a new iPod phone, Appleā€™s footprint can increase to over 30%.”

« FireBall FP-1 Music Manager for iPods announced

Apple sued over Nike+iPod Sport Kit »

Comments

I just bought a 2GB iPod nano to supplement my 30 gig today.  This noise is present in mine, too. What can I do to A) Make it stop or B)Get a replacement iPod? It is very annoying.

Posted by Brent on January 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

I just noticed the same thing when it’s plugged into my car stereo.  Aaargh!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

I originally had a 4 GB Product RED nano, which I exchanged for an 8 gb.  Neither one has made any kind of whining noise, even held against my ear.

Posted by Brian English on January 2, 2007 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

TechTool Protogo?? Isn’t this the same as a installing Tech Tool or Diskwarrior on your iPod? I’ll stick with iDefrag :-p

Posted by AZ on January 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

So reading the article about the noise didn’t really help me how to stop the noise, at night when my music is low, I can here the noise and it keeps me from sleeping. Any ideas to completely stop the noise?

Posted by Stefan on January 2, 2007 at 11:38 PM (PDT)

I think it has something to do with the battery, maybe. When I plug the thing into my wall charger, it is louder.
Actually, even when it’s not plugged in it seems to get louder, quieter, louder, quieter, louder. It’s always there (when it is on).

Posted by Brent on January 3, 2007 at 12:23 AM (PDT)