Mix: Teens and iPhone, Quake 3, SpeakerCraft, Play Touch
New research released by analyst group Piper Jaffray suggests that twice as many teens now own iPhones than in the fall. The survey of nearly 400 teenagers found about six percent were iPhone owners, with another nine percent planning to purchase one in the next sixth months. The survey also found overall use of MP3 players at a record 87 percent, with 86 percent of MP3 player owners saying they have at least one iPod.
A video posted to YouTube over the weekend showing two iPod touch units playing Quake 3 has been revealed as the work of independent video game developer HermitWorks. According to the developers, the game was ported to the platform as a “first step to getting our game Space Trader running on the iPod.” The company is currently using jailbroken units for development, but says it would “love to have [Space Trader] by June” for release through Apple’s App Store.
SpeakerCraft has announced the release of a new iPhone/iPod touch interface for its MODE multi-room A/V control system. The interface, which is generated by an embedded web server running on the company’s ERS 1.0 adapter, allows the devices to be used as a wireless remote with control of all sources and routing. “The connection is very easy to set up and there is little or no additional programming required by the installer,” says Jason Craze, SpeakerCraft’s Director of Engineering. “A person can literally walk through their front door, press a single virtual button on the iPhone touch screen and have access to all of their system’s control functions.”
Play Touch Games is a new site offering different web-based games for the iPhone and iPod touch. The games are free to play, and can be accessed by visiting playtouchgames.com from an iPhone or iPod touch.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels