Mix: Time, iTunes, FON, ChargeBox
Time Magazine has named the iPhone “Invention of the Year,” besting other advancements in science, robotics, and technology. “Intel’s 45-nanometer (parts for chips) - that’s a serious deal, but it’s a lot less glamorous than the iPhone even though it’s important,” said Lev Grossman, a Time staff writer. The article will appear in Friday’s issue.
New data from comScore shows that iTunes sales continue to grow. iTunes sales increased 85% in the first three quarters from the same period a year earlier, and dollars spent per iTunes transaction climbed 10% during that period. This goes against a recent figure from Forrester Research that said iTunes sales dropped 65% this year.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has met with Argentinian entrepreneur Martin Varsavsky to talk about his Wi-Fi sharing service FON. The meeting went well, the FON boss said, observing: “I really think Jobs liked the idea of FON. I think he loves the idea of a world where people share WiFi. That I could tell. I think he would like for there to be an opportunity for everyone to share WiFi.”
UK-based ChargeBox, which offers users a place to charge mobile phones and other devices while they are stored in a secure locker, has announced that it will be adding chargers for the iPhone to its locations to coincide with the device’s launch in the UK.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels