Mix: Toys R Us, Google, iPod + Hearing Loss, iSpeak
Toys R Us is set to begin offering select iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and iPod touch models in its stores nationwide for “the first time ever” on October 19. Marketnews.ca notes that although the iPods are not yet listed on either Toys R Us’ U.S. or Canadian websites, the players have been available through its U.K. affiliate for more than a year. According to the company, it will also offer a variety of accessories “that kids need to complement their iPods, including iHome items, iTunes gift cards, as well as products like carrying cases and car adapters for use on-the-go.” Toys R Us says it will support the iPod rollout through a comprehensive marketing campaign consisting of print promotion, in-store signage and a special “iPod boutique” area in stores.
Google is reportedly readying new iPhone-specific advertising options to let companies target these users directly. Adweek reports that in various meetings with agencies, Google has presented an option to show different ads in response to searches made from iPhones. This would allow advertisers to provide iPhone-specific click actions, such as calling an airline to make reservations, or highlight a company’s iPhone-optimized web site. Google has yet to publicly confirm the feature.
A new study on MP3 usage from the EU’s Scientific Committee on emerging health risks suggests that as little as one hour of iPod/headphone use a day for five years might make as many as one out of every ten listeners deaf. While MP3 players in Europe are limited to 100 decibels, the scientists found that anything above 89 decibels listened to with regularity has an effect that is louder than the limits imposed on factories. “Decision makers and opinion formers are finally waking up to the hearing loss time bomb threatening many young MP3 users,” said Emma Harrison, head of campaigns at the Royal National Institute for Deaf People. “We want to see the Government and industry taking decisive action to save the hearing of future generations.”
Fonix Speech has introduced its new Fonix iSpeak application for the iPhone. iSpeak is a voice dialing application, which lets users place calls by speaking the name of a contact followed by their location (mobile, home, work, etc.). Fonix notes that due to the lack of Bluetooth access in the iPhone SDK, iSpeak does not currently support voice dialing from Bluetooth headsets. Fonix iSpeak is available now via the App Store and sells for $15.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More