Mix: TubeSock, Google, LimeWire, ColorEnvy | iLounge News

Mix: TubeSock, Google, LimeWire, ColorEnvy

TubeSock is a new Mac application that allows users to download and convert videos from YouTube for playback on video-enabled iPods and the Sony PSP. The $15 software “converts YouTube’s native FLV file format into H.264, MP4, or MP3 files. It automatically determines the appropriate file format, bitrate, and naming convention for the selected target device.”

Google has denied that it plans to sell digital music. “We are not going to be selling music,” Chris Sacca, head of business development for Google, said last week at the annual NARM (National Association of Recording Merchandisers) conference. “We’re already in the music business, because we’re the complement to the offline life,” he said. “After people hear the name ‘Gnarls Barkley’ their next move is to go and check on Google for it.”

The four major record companies have sued the the makers of the file-sharing program LimeWire. Reuters reports: “The complaint, filed in Manhattan federal court, is the latest in a string of lawsuits the music industry has filed in an attempt to curb Internet piracy. That effort was bolstered last year when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that content companies can take legal action against technology firms that encourage copyright infringement.”

ColorEnvy has announced the winners of its “World’s Worst Scratched iPod Contest.” The company also announced that everyone who submitted a photo will be receiving a free E-Juice scratch removal kit.

« Neuros Recorder 2 Plus introduced

Apple’s Steve Jobs set to kick off WWDC today »

Comments

the videodownloader extension for firefox downloads youtube videos for free, but also from goole video and lots of other sites.they also have links to converters for flv to normal formats

Posted by Aaron on August 8, 2006 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

You can download videos from Youtube in Safari by double-clicking the .flv file in the Activity window. Then you just drag the .flv file into iSquint (free) and convert it. http://www.isquint.org

Posted by LukeA on August 8, 2006 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

Stupid question here but how exactly do I locate the .flv file on the youtube video that I’m watching?  Is the activity window the video window itself?  Sorry, I’d love to figure this out smile

Posted by dan on August 8, 2006 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

You can do a search for the “.flv” sting in Window and in Mac.

Posted by sapporobaby on August 9, 2006 at 4:43 AM (PDT)

Warning Please TubeSock I purchased this program for my Mac, Paid through PayPal, But I never got my e-mail for the serial number to unlock the demo to full working program.Sent e.mail to TubeSock Their web site help desk but no forth coming help. Anybody else had problems like this and what did you do please. My solution is to report this to Paypal. More complaints the better about TubeSock. Its just a scam I feel unless someone knows better.

Posted by Peter Forde on November 25, 2007 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

I wish I had come across Peter’s post earlier.  I paid $15 for TUBESOCK and have received nothing.  Attempts to contact their customer support have been fruitless, and my credit card’s been charged.  The company, STINKBOT, is located in North Carolina.  I will lodge a complaint with NC’s Department of Justice, and encourage others to do the same.

Here is a link to the appropriate complaint form:

Posted by Joe on July 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM (PDT)

I too purchased StinkBot’s Mac TubeSock product only to find the ‘confirmation” file they emailed me to activate their product was an empty text file.  I’ve tried to contact StinkBot about this but they don’t return phone calls and don’t respond to email queries.

I hope other folks heed this warning.  I sure wish I’d read the comments here before I purchased this.  I’ll definitely be contacting the North Carolina Department of Justice about this.

-C. Crocker

Posted by C. Crocker on February 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM (PDT)