Mix: Unlock patent, Floyd removed, Vimeo HTML5 embed, iSkin Pulse
Published: Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Apple has been awarded two new U.S. patents related to the iOS’s slide to unlock screen and on-screen keyboard. The patents, each entitled “Animated graphical user interfaces for a display screen or portion thereof,” relate solely to the user interface elements’ ornamental design and not to the actual function of the objects.
A large number of albums from English rock band Pink Floyd have been removed from the iTunes Store and other digital storefronts due to the expiration of a contract between the band and its label EMI. AppleInsider notes that the band’s contract covering all works since Dark Side of the Moon—including well-known recordings such as The Wall and Wish You Were Here—expired on June 30, paving the way for the removal of the albums. The report also mentions that Pink Floyd won a lawsuit against EMI in March, in which a U.K. court determined that the band could keep EMI from selling its songs as singles as opposed to full albums.
Online video sharing service Vimeo has launched its new “Universal Player” which allows users to embed video in iOS-friendly HTML5 format. According to a post on the company’s blog, the Universal Player can automatically detect what kind of device is viewing the video and choose the correct player based on the device’s capabilities. Previously, Vimeo only served HTML5 video from its own website.
iSkin has introduced its new Pulse Sports+ case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The Pulse Sports+ is made from two layers of Microban-treated silicone, the outer layer of which provides reinforcement while doubling as a hand band. It features built-in port protectors, open access to the screen, ring/silent switch and camera, and push-through button covers. The iSkin Pulse Sports+ case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS is available now in five colors and sells for $30.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Suit alleges Apple stores discriminate against visually impaired
- Popular app developer ComiXology reports security breach
- Report: Apple moved $8.9B in profits to tax haven
- Azoi introduces Wello health monitoring iPhone case
- Report: Apple bringing full-screen video ads to iOS
- Report: Apple working to expand Siri functionality for iWatch
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Plantronics Voyager Edge Bluetooth Headset
- Anker TC930 Bluetooth Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iBattz Mojo Battstation Optimus
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone