Mix: Unlock patent, Floyd removed, Vimeo HTML5 embed, iSkin Pulse
Apple has been awarded two new U.S. patents related to the iOS’s slide to unlock screen and on-screen keyboard. The patents, each entitled “Animated graphical user interfaces for a display screen or portion thereof,” relate solely to the user interface elements’ ornamental design and not to the actual function of the objects.
A large number of albums from English rock band Pink Floyd have been removed from the iTunes Store and other digital storefronts due to the expiration of a contract between the band and its label EMI. AppleInsider notes that the band’s contract covering all works since Dark Side of the Moon—including well-known recordings such as The Wall and Wish You Were Here—expired on June 30, paving the way for the removal of the albums. The report also mentions that Pink Floyd won a lawsuit against EMI in March, in which a U.K. court determined that the band could keep EMI from selling its songs as singles as opposed to full albums.
Online video sharing service Vimeo has launched its new “Universal Player” which allows users to embed video in iOS-friendly HTML5 format. According to a post on the company’s blog, the Universal Player can automatically detect what kind of device is viewing the video and choose the correct player based on the device’s capabilities. Previously, Vimeo only served HTML5 video from its own website.
iSkin has introduced its new Pulse Sports+ case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The Pulse Sports+ is made from two layers of Microban-treated silicone, the outer layer of which provides reinforcement while doubling as a hand band. It features built-in port protectors, open access to the screen, ring/silent switch and camera, and push-through button covers. The iSkin Pulse Sports+ case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS is available now in five colors and sells for $30.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels