Mix: Unlock patent, Floyd removed, Vimeo HTML5 embed, iSkin Pulse
Apple has been awarded two new U.S. patents related to the iOS’s slide to unlock screen and on-screen keyboard. The patents, each entitled “Animated graphical user interfaces for a display screen or portion thereof,” relate solely to the user interface elements’ ornamental design and not to the actual function of the objects.
A large number of albums from English rock band Pink Floyd have been removed from the iTunes Store and other digital storefronts due to the expiration of a contract between the band and its label EMI. AppleInsider notes that the band’s contract covering all works since Dark Side of the Moon—including well-known recordings such as The Wall and Wish You Were Here—expired on June 30, paving the way for the removal of the albums. The report also mentions that Pink Floyd won a lawsuit against EMI in March, in which a U.K. court determined that the band could keep EMI from selling its songs as singles as opposed to full albums.
Online video sharing service Vimeo has launched its new “Universal Player” which allows users to embed video in iOS-friendly HTML5 format. According to a post on the company’s blog, the Universal Player can automatically detect what kind of device is viewing the video and choose the correct player based on the device’s capabilities. Previously, Vimeo only served HTML5 video from its own website.
iSkin has introduced its new Pulse Sports+ case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The Pulse Sports+ is made from two layers of Microban-treated silicone, the outer layer of which provides reinforcement while doubling as a hand band. It features built-in port protectors, open access to the screen, ring/silent switch and camera, and push-through button covers. The iSkin Pulse Sports+ case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS is available now in five colors and sells for $30.
- Mix: EU iPhone Preorders, In-Cell Patent, Jobs’ Home Theft
- Mix: iCloud suit, iTunes TOS, Airplane Crash, iPad at Saks
- Mix: Air Guitar, Infinite Loop, Tardis Case, Loop Nano
- Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
- Mix: Universal, iCloud icon, Apple retail, The Beatles
- Mix: Explosion, France Telecom, Freescale, Samsung
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Mophie debuts Powerstation XL battery pack
- China Mobile subsidiary briefly takes iPhone preorders
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- IK Multimedia iRig KEYS PRO
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts