Mix: Verizon, FCC, Disney Notescasts, Swine Flu app
Despite recent ads attacking the iPhone, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg said today that the decision about whether or not to offer the iPhone on Verizon’s network is “in Apple’s court” and that Verizon “would be interested if [Apple] wanted us as a partner.” Verizon has been seeing some weakness in subscriber growth this past quarter with a slight increase in subscriber defection rate attributed largely to competition from AT&T and the iPhone.
In an interview with BusinessWeek, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski discussed a number of issues regarding net neutrality, broadband accessibility, and wireless spectrum. Notably, Mr. Genachowski specifically mentioned that the available spectrum for wireless services is currently threatened by the demand being created by the iPhone and similar wireless devices, and indicated that the FCC will need to make longer-term plans and innovations in spectrum policy to ensure that future growth can be properly accommodated.
TimeStream Software has released five new NotesCast offerings for Walt Disney World Resort to provide information for vacation planning and in-park tours. The new series of Notescasts include a general “Walt Disney World Guide,” as well as individual Notescasts for more specific tour information to assist guests in discovering less-known facts and secrets within the park. TimeStream software has previously provided Notescasts for Click Wheel iPod models ranging from tour guide NotesCasts to e-books that load into the iPod Notes section; this represents the company’s first iPhone and iPod touch version of a Notescast. The Walt Disney Notescasts apps are available from the App Store and sell for $1-$2 each.
The Washington Post reports that Harvard Medical School has launched an iPhone application to provide more information on the H1N1 flu through videos, animations and text, and also features real-time updates and news from Harvard Medical School regarding the H1N1 virus, a health map feature that allows users to track the state of the epidemic in their current locations, and a symptom checker to help users determine if their symptoms indicate H1N1 and when users should contact their doctor. Hotlines and numbers to call are also provided based on the user’s location. The HMSMobile Swine Flu Center app is available on the App Store for $2.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, sign up now
- Japan Display vying to be Apple’s primary display supplier (Update: new plant confirmed)
- Apple comes to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, will replace AT&T
- Apple extends iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit (Update: settlement approved)
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?