Mix: Verizon, FCC, Disney Notescasts, Swine Flu app
Despite recent ads attacking the iPhone, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg said today that the decision about whether or not to offer the iPhone on Verizon’s network is “in Apple’s court” and that Verizon “would be interested if [Apple] wanted us as a partner.” Verizon has been seeing some weakness in subscriber growth this past quarter with a slight increase in subscriber defection rate attributed largely to competition from AT&T and the iPhone.
In an interview with BusinessWeek, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski discussed a number of issues regarding net neutrality, broadband accessibility, and wireless spectrum. Notably, Mr. Genachowski specifically mentioned that the available spectrum for wireless services is currently threatened by the demand being created by the iPhone and similar wireless devices, and indicated that the FCC will need to make longer-term plans and innovations in spectrum policy to ensure that future growth can be properly accommodated.
TimeStream Software has released five new NotesCast offerings for Walt Disney World Resort to provide information for vacation planning and in-park tours. The new series of Notescasts include a general “Walt Disney World Guide,” as well as individual Notescasts for more specific tour information to assist guests in discovering less-known facts and secrets within the park. TimeStream software has previously provided Notescasts for Click Wheel iPod models ranging from tour guide NotesCasts to e-books that load into the iPod Notes section; this represents the company’s first iPhone and iPod touch version of a Notescast. The Walt Disney Notescasts apps are available from the App Store and sell for $1-$2 each.
The Washington Post reports that Harvard Medical School has launched an iPhone application to provide more information on the H1N1 flu through videos, animations and text, and also features real-time updates and news from Harvard Medical School regarding the H1N1 virus, a health map feature that allows users to track the state of the epidemic in their current locations, and a symptom checker to help users determine if their symptoms indicate H1N1 and when users should contact their doctor. Hotlines and numbers to call are also provided based on the user’s location. The HMSMobile Swine Flu Center app is available on the App Store for $2.
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?