Mix: Verizon iPad, Net Applications, iPhone 4G, Bloomberg
Verizon Wireless is currently testing Apple iPads on its network, according to the Boy Genius Report. Citing a “highly placed source,” BGR claims that the model undergoing testing is a CDMA-compatible device, and although LTE was mentioned by the source, it is unclear whether the 4G technology would be found in the current or a future model.
According to the latest statistics from Net Applications, the iPhone is maintaining its worldwide mobile browsing market share lead over Android despite recent gains by Google’s OS. The company’s statistics for May show that the iPhone saw larger global share gains—from 30.3% to 32.8%—than did Android, which went from 5.3% to 6.2%. Java ME remains the most popular platform for mobile browsing, although Net Applications notes that it is used on a wide variety of devices and is rapidly losing share to both iPhone and Android. Net Application’s numbers are based on the 160 monthly million visitors to its clients’ websites. [via Fortune]
A counterfeit iPhone based on fourth-generation prototypes previously published online has surfaced in China. Called the “GPS-PHONE” according to Chinese-language PCOnline, the phone offers a front-facing camera, rear camera flash, a TV antenna, a mini USB port, and an iPhone-like interface with a number of different applications, including Opera Mini and Java. [via Mac Rumors]
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has started using an iPad to help run the metropolis, according to a Daily News report. Showing the device off at a recent civic meeting, Bloomberg said the device was a great way to save time and eliminate paper, although he’s still getting used to its touchscreen interface. “I put some notes on it [that] normally I have on my cards, and we’ll see whether or not this works,” Bloomberg said.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today