Mix: Verizon Poll, BlackBerry Apps, Windows Mobile, Melinda Gates
Verizon Wireless is running an online survey for customers who cancel service, in which they are offered iPhone-oriented answers to several questions. For both “What is the Primary Reason you chose your new carrier?” and “What is the Primary Reason you disconnected your line of service with Verizon Wireless?” one of the optional answers is “Wanted the iPhone;” the iPhone is also listed as an answer for the question “What could Verizon Wireless have offered you to keep you as a customer?”
BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion has announced further details of its App Store clone. BlackBerry App World will offer apps on a tiered pricing scale, like the App Store, with paid apps priced $2.99 and up. A PayPal account will be required to purchase apps, and download applications must be stored on the phone’s internal memory, and not on a removable SD or similar card, limiting the number of apps that users of certain models can install. No launch date has yet been set for the service. [via Engadget]
During a speech at Microsoft’s CIO Summit this week, CEO Steve Ballmer was asked a difficult question regarding the iPhone. “With platforms like the Google phone and iPhone coming out, it’s really tough to continue to stand behind Windows Mobile when our employees are bringing these consumer devices into our environments,” the questioner said, asking what their commitment was to releasing more current versions of Windows Mobile. ” Ballmer replied, “We have a significant release coming this year,” adding that the company doesn’t yet include “some of the things that people want on the highest-end phones. Those will come on Windows Mobile 7 next year.” Ballmer went on to point out that more Windows Mobile devices were sold last year than iPhones.
In a lengthy interview with Vogue, Melinda Gates—wife of former Microsoft CEO and co-founder Bill Gates—admitted to lusting after Apple’s tabooed iPhone. “There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household,” Gates said. “But iPods and iPhones are two things we don’t get for our kids.” Despite the ban, Gates says she is attracted to Apple’s handset. “Every now and then I look at my friends and say, ‘Ooh, I wouldn’t mind having that iPhone.’”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?