Mix: Verizon, Remote interface, Roaming in Bermuda | iLounge News

Mix: Verizon, Remote interface, Roaming in Bermuda

Discussing Verizon’s second quarter financial results, COO Denny Strigl said it was seeing minimal impact from the launch of the iPhone 3G. The AP reports that Strigl said Verizon was seeing what it believes to be a “minimal short-term impact” in customer flow due to the iPhone 3G, adding that the effect looks small compared to the overall size of Verizon Wireless, and suggesting that most new iPhone customers switching to AT&T are coming from other carriers, such as Sprint.

The iPhone/iPod touch Remote application has a better interface than the iPhone’s own built-in iPod app, according to a recent blog post. In the post, the author argues that the addition of item counts and icons to the Playlist view, artist names and scrolling dots when viewing a selected playlist, and the search function are all improvements over the iPhone and iPod touch’s more minimalist iPod interface. [via DF]

An iLounge forum thread dating back to February is highly suggested for readers planning to travel to the Bahamas with their iPhones. Reader iScottL reported having nearly $3,000 in roaming charges, despite having data roaming turned off. According to reader Doug Toombs, there is a carrier in Bermuda that uses the 310 Mobile Country Code, which is actually the code for the U.S. This causes the iPhone to read “AT&T” and to override any data roaming settings, since the phone believes it is on a U.S. network. Toombs’ report confirms that this issue has continued to exist in Bermuda through this month. Until the situation is resolved, iLounge recommends that all U.S. readers who have an iPhone through AT&T put the device into Airplane Mode if they are in Bermuda.

« Music Rescue 4.0 offers QuickRecover, iPhone, iPod touch support

Gameloft releases Uno as Click Wheel iPod Game »

Comments

One other thing I’ve noticed is that albums with similar names will be grouped separately, (for example. “Greatest Hits”).

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 29, 2008 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

As I posted on Wired..

Ever since they unveiled the iPhone, there’s been pretty much no excuse not to just port iTunes to the device. It’s practically there all ready, but for a few maddeningly missing details.
Why we can’t edit the meta data on songs is a mystery to me. (hey, thats supposed to be Siouxsie…not Sousie!) Also, the ability to add things like lyrics and album art the moment you think of it would be a boon. Call me lazy, I never think to make a note that I’d like to add the lyrics to Lou Reed’s “Coney Island Baby”, or album art for the title track from “Shock Treatment” once I get home.

Posted by Miranda Kali on July 29, 2008 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

I’m counting the months/days to leave Verizon to get the iphone 3G.  Eventually, I will move the rest of my famiy as their phones complete the 2 yrs contracts.

Posted by kmaine on July 29, 2008 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

Yes, Verizon is losing customer base to the iPhone.  I called Verizon to see if my early termination fee was pro-rated or “all or nothing,” and it is “all or nothing” for both lines, should I cancel early.  So we wait until October, and there’s a chance that iPhone 2.5 might be out by then.

There is no way the CEO is going to admit they are losing customers…and I’ve even seen it with Verizon customer reps.  Last year, when I would mention the iPhone, they would argue with me about the quality of the phone and that they had their own model “just” like it (LG Voyager)...in my most recent conversation, they thanked me for my business and said that they would be sorry to see me go.  That sort of abandon tells me that they are losing a lot of customers, and they’re done fighting about…accepting their fate.

I thought congress had worked to end these early termination fees…apparently that never happened.

Posted by Doctor on July 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

“Airplane Mode” not “Airport Mode.”

Posted by Muero on July 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

Muero,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

To “Doctor”

After canceling my Verizon account to go to Sprint, (which I regretted and went back to Verizon eventually), it was a prorated amount that I had to pay, not “All or nothing”.  I don’t know who you spoke to, but Verizon doesn’t make people pay the full amount if they’ve been paying their phone bill.  A discount per successful bill paid is applied to the account, so the closer you wait till your New Every Two equals the less amount of an early termination fee that needs to be paid.

In my opinion, I’m sure Verizon is losing a good amount to the iPhone, however, as for me, I’m not switching till the 3G coverage has expanded, for at least in my part of the country, Verizon has the widest 3G coverage to date.  Once more of Florida is covered, you can be sure I’ll be switching to the iPhone, especially since my main computer of choice is a Mac.

Posted by David on July 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

I love having Verizon. I would love to own an iphone but I have a text messaging addictions over (4000 last month) and my partner is about the same. ATT doesn’t have an unlimited txt and picture messanging plans. As well has not the same coverage. Right now i currently own a pearl and the internet is amazing nor have i ever had problems with Verizon.

Then hearing about how there are cracks in the new 3g iphones makes me wonder?

Posted by Erica on July 30, 2008 at 10:10 AM (PDT)