Mix: Vimpelcom, iTunes v. full albums, Jobs obit, iPhone camera mod
Vimpelcom, the second-largest carrier in Russia, has announced that it has signed a distribution deal with Apple to sell the iPhone 3G in Russia. “Vimpelcom announced today it has signed an agreement with Apple to bring iPhone 3G to Russia, expected later this year,” the company said in a statement. Last week it was reported that all three major Russian carriers, MTS, Vimpelcom, and MegaFon, has signed iPhone deals with Apple; Vimpelcom is the first to make an official statement confirming an agreement.
More labels are considering keeping new release albums off iTunes in a bid to increase full album sales, according to a Wall Street Journal report. iTunes policies prevent artists from selling their music in full album format only, requiring songs to be sold as singles, on which they see less profit. The article points to Warner Music Group, which kept Kid Rock’s latest album “Rock ‘n Roll Jesus” off iTunes and has seen sales increase in 19 of the past 22 weeks, recently pulled an album by R&B singer Estelle from the iTunes Store the same week that one of its songs entered iTunes’ top 10 best-selling list.
Bloomberg News inadvertently published a pre-written obituary for Apple CEO Steve Jobs, only to retract it a short time later. While the lengthy document contains little to no new information on Jobs, it discusses various people that the organization would contact for comment, and highlights a number of career and personal events. Gawker has saved and reprinted it in its entirety. It is quite common for major publications to have obituaries on hand for high-profile people such as business leaders and politicians; thus, the appearance of the obituary likely has little to do with recent concerns of Jobs’ health.
Flickr user and iPhone 3G owner eastrain has posted an interesting series of photographs taken with an iPhone camera that has been modded to change its focus for more up-close photography. Explains eastrain, “Both iPhone models have the same style generic mobile phone camera module with a screw style focus adjustment which has been glued at infinity in the factory. Once you break this glue, you can turn the lens counterclockwise to bring the focus closer.” Note that attempting to modify the iPhone in this way will likely void any remaining warranty with Apple.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards