Mix: Wal-Mart, Google, Semi, iPhoneSender
Wal-Mart’s head of digital media, Kevin Swint, has left the retail giant, and will join Apple this week as head of the company’s international movies and TV efforts. Wal-Mart recently closed its online movie download service, while Apple in January announced intentions to expand its iTunes Movie Rentals service internationally in 2008.
Despite the company’s intentions to build its own cell phone software platform, Google co-president Sergey Brin spoke of his personal experiences using the iPhone during a recent earnings-related conference call. “I was at a conference in Switzerland,” Brin said. “I was able to find a really small hotel, then switch over to the satellite view on my phone to figure out I needed to take a funicular to get up there. It was a really amazing experience.”
iPhone user Mike Beauchamp has posted pictures of his phone, after it was run-over by a semi truck, to photo-sharing site Flickr. In the comments, Beauchamp tells the story of how the phone came to end up on the highway, and his delight in discovering that it was still functional. “As I picked it up and cradled it gently in my hands, I saw the screen displaying my caller ID—the screen still worked! I slid my finger gently over the answer slide and paused as I held the tattered and torn device to my ear—my heart must have skipped a beat when I heard my mom’s voice at the other end of the phone—the phone still worked,” Beauchamp wrote.
Design is Fuel has announced iPhoneSender, a new web browser add-on that allows users of Safari and Firefox to send addresses from their desktop computer to the iPhone via email. The addresses appear as Google Maps links, allowing the user to immediately access the address from the iPhone’s or iPod touch’s Maps application. “While we love the iPhone and its Google Maps application, we still found ourselves printing directions from Google when in a hurry. Why? Because there wasn’t a fast way to get that address and map to our iPhones,” says David DeMember of Design is Fuel. “So we developed iPhoneSender, a model of simplicity.” iPhoneSender is available as a free download from iphonesender.com, and works on both PCs and Macs.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, sign up now
- Japan Display vying to be Apple’s primary display supplier (Update: new plant confirmed)
- Apple comes to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, will replace AT&T
- Apple extends iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit (Update: settlement approved)
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?