Mix: Walkman, TiltShift, Krazy Kart, Modern Combat
Sony’s Walkman portable media player outsold the iPod in Japan last week, the first time in over two years a competing player has grabbed the top spot, according to new data from research firm BNC. Bloomberg reports that Sony’s share of the market for the week ending August 30 was 43%, just inching out Apple, which accounted for 42.1%. BNC notes that the iPhone cannibalized some iPod sales, but isn’t included in the survey because it is also a mobile phone. Apple had held the market share lead in Japan since January of 2005.
Takayuki Fukatsu has released TiltShift Generator, his latest photo application for the iPhone. TiltShift Generator allows users to take new photos or edit existing pictures and add effects that make the scene look like a miniature—a photographic technique that traditionally requires a tilt-shift lens. In addition to blur and vignetting effects, users can also edit the saturation, brightness, and contrast of photos loaded into the program. TiltShift Generator is available now from the App Store and is priced at $1 for the next two weeks, when it will rise to $3.
Konami has introduced Krazy Kart Racers, its latest game for the iPhone and iPod touch. Krazy Kart Racers is a Mario Kart-style go-kart racing game, featuring 10 well-known Konami characters as drivers, 16 different race tracks, five single player modes, and six-player local or online Wi-Fi multiplayer modes. Krazy Kart Racers sells for $8.
Gameloft has released Modern Combat: Sandstorm, its newest title for the iPhone and iPod touch. Sandstorm first-person shooter set in the middle of a modern war, featuring ten missions set in varied Middle Eastern environments, three control schemes to choose from, a wide range of authentic military weapons with a leveling system that allows players to progressively unlock weapons, a precision sniper and “ironsight” mode, and more. Modern Combat: Sandstorm is available now and is priced at $7.
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iBattz Refuel Invictus for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?