Mix: Walkman, TiltShift, Krazy Kart, Modern Combat
Sony’s Walkman portable media player outsold the iPod in Japan last week, the first time in over two years a competing player has grabbed the top spot, according to new data from research firm BNC. Bloomberg reports that Sony’s share of the market for the week ending August 30 was 43%, just inching out Apple, which accounted for 42.1%. BNC notes that the iPhone cannibalized some iPod sales, but isn’t included in the survey because it is also a mobile phone. Apple had held the market share lead in Japan since January of 2005.
Takayuki Fukatsu has released TiltShift Generator, his latest photo application for the iPhone. TiltShift Generator allows users to take new photos or edit existing pictures and add effects that make the scene look like a miniature—a photographic technique that traditionally requires a tilt-shift lens. In addition to blur and vignetting effects, users can also edit the saturation, brightness, and contrast of photos loaded into the program. TiltShift Generator is available now from the App Store and is priced at $1 for the next two weeks, when it will rise to $3.
Konami has introduced Krazy Kart Racers, its latest game for the iPhone and iPod touch. Krazy Kart Racers is a Mario Kart-style go-kart racing game, featuring 10 well-known Konami characters as drivers, 16 different race tracks, five single player modes, and six-player local or online Wi-Fi multiplayer modes. Krazy Kart Racers sells for $8.
Gameloft has released Modern Combat: Sandstorm, its newest title for the iPhone and iPod touch. Sandstorm first-person shooter set in the middle of a modern war, featuring ten missions set in varied Middle Eastern environments, three control schemes to choose from, a wide range of authentic military weapons with a leveling system that allows players to progressively unlock weapons, a precision sniper and “ironsight” mode, and more. Modern Combat: Sandstorm is available now and is priced at $7.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Russian Apple Online Store returns with increased prices
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Just Mobile TopGum
- Kenu Highline for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0