Mix: Walkman, TiltShift, Krazy Kart, Modern Combat
Sony’s Walkman portable media player outsold the iPod in Japan last week, the first time in over two years a competing player has grabbed the top spot, according to new data from research firm BNC. Bloomberg reports that Sony’s share of the market for the week ending August 30 was 43%, just inching out Apple, which accounted for 42.1%. BNC notes that the iPhone cannibalized some iPod sales, but isn’t included in the survey because it is also a mobile phone. Apple had held the market share lead in Japan since January of 2005.
Takayuki Fukatsu has released TiltShift Generator, his latest photo application for the iPhone. TiltShift Generator allows users to take new photos or edit existing pictures and add effects that make the scene look like a miniature—a photographic technique that traditionally requires a tilt-shift lens. In addition to blur and vignetting effects, users can also edit the saturation, brightness, and contrast of photos loaded into the program. TiltShift Generator is available now from the App Store and is priced at $1 for the next two weeks, when it will rise to $3.
Konami has introduced Krazy Kart Racers, its latest game for the iPhone and iPod touch. Krazy Kart Racers is a Mario Kart-style go-kart racing game, featuring 10 well-known Konami characters as drivers, 16 different race tracks, five single player modes, and six-player local or online Wi-Fi multiplayer modes. Krazy Kart Racers sells for $8.
Gameloft has released Modern Combat: Sandstorm, its newest title for the iPhone and iPod touch. Sandstorm first-person shooter set in the middle of a modern war, featuring ten missions set in varied Middle Eastern environments, three control schemes to choose from, a wide range of authentic military weapons with a leveling system that allows players to progressively unlock weapons, a precision sniper and “ironsight” mode, and more. Modern Combat: Sandstorm is available now and is priced at $7.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?