Mix: White 3GS shortage, patent lawsuit, iPod mini mod, 3GS music video
Apple is having trouble keeping the white 16GB iPhone 3GS in stock at its company-owned retail stores, reports Fortune. Based on checks of Apple’s online availability listings, the entry-level white model is sold out in 30 of the 41 states in which Apple has stores, and in areas with large numbers of Apple Stores, such as California, Massachusetts, and New York City, it is available in only one store. It is unclear whether demand for the model is that much greater than the other three, or if Apple simply underestimated demand. The report goes on to note that as of today, every state has at least one model that is completely out of stock.
Apple, along with Sony and Nintendo, has been sued by Shared Memory Graphics (SMG) over alleged patent infringement. The Wall Street Journal reports that SMG claims Apple’s iPods, Nintendo’s Wii, and Sony’s PSP and PS2 systems use two graphic accelerator systems patented by the company. The patents describe ways in which processors fine-tune graphics by balancing the flow of data from various sources; they were originally owned by Alliance Semiconductor, but were sold to SMG after the former transitioned to a holding company. Filed in U.S. District Court in Arkansas, the suit demands unspecified monetary damages.
Australian graphic designer and iLounge forum member Josh Darrah, creator of the wooden iPod mini we reported on in June, is considering the possibility of profiting from his creation. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, response to the project has been so positive that Darrah is now looking into how he could mass produce the wooden casings and sell them online as part of a do-it-yourself kit. He is working to master the craft by continuing to build cases for the iPod range. “I’m working out how to streamline the process of making it using routers and a bit of program machinery to carve the wood, so I don’t have to do them by hand,” Darrah said.
Brooklyn-based artist Reyna Perez has had her new video for the song “Love Love Love” shot entirely on an iPhone 3GS. Boing Boing reports that the final mixes of the song arrived on Friday, June 17th, the same day the iPhone 3GS was released. “Video producer Ari Kuschnir, Reyna’s fiancee, purchased the iPhone after a two hour wait, made shorter by listening to the tracks. Hearing the new music and playing with 3GS, he had an idea. Why not debut Reyna with the first iPhone music video? ‘It became clear that the phone’s camera quality was good enough to shoot a music video. It seemed fitting for the project.’ Continue reading to see the embedded version of the video, or follow the above link to watch it on YouTube.
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!