Mix: Yahoo, Apple TV voice command, iPod camera, 16GB iPhone EOL
Following in the steps of Google’s Mobile app, Yahoo! has now also added its own voice-enabled search program to its iPhone app. Yahoo’s “oneSearch” voice navigation has already been available on Blackberry, Nokia and Windows Mobile phones for some time now. The new Yahoo! app with voice search is available now as a free download from the iTunes App Store.
[via The New York Times]
MacNN reports that Apple may be looking to add voice command technology into a future-generation Apple TV based on a recent patent application titled context-aware unit selection which describes a pointing device associated with a computer dubbed a “Web TV” system. The remote would contain an embedded microphone capable of accepting voice commands.
According to a post from Seth Weintraub at Computerworld, Apple may be making preparations to include a camera in the next-generation iPod touch or similar device. Digitimes reports that OmniVision has received orders from Apple for both 3.2 and 5 megapixel image sensors. While the 3.2MP sensors are commonly believed to be for the next-generation iPhone, the higher-resolution 5MP sensors are reportedly to be used for “another Apple product expected to be launched later in the year.” It is unclear whether this future Apple product would be the next-generation iPod touch or some other type of device, such as the oft-rumored “iTablet.” [via MacDailyNews]
MacTalk Australia reports that Vodafone Australia has apparently sent out an e-mail to its retail staff notifying them that the 16GB iPhone has been marked as “End of Life” by their iPhone supplier, Brightpoint. They go on to note that this announcement applies only to the 16GB model, and not the 8GB model, suggesting that there either may be a surplus stock of 8GB models or that Apple may retain an 8GB model as a “value option.”
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?