Mix: Yahoo, Apple TV voice command, iPod camera, 16GB iPhone EOL
Following in the steps of Google’s Mobile app, Yahoo! has now also added its own voice-enabled search program to its iPhone app. Yahoo’s “oneSearch” voice navigation has already been available on Blackberry, Nokia and Windows Mobile phones for some time now. The new Yahoo! app with voice search is available now as a free download from the iTunes App Store.
[via The New York Times]
MacNN reports that Apple may be looking to add voice command technology into a future-generation Apple TV based on a recent patent application titled context-aware unit selection which describes a pointing device associated with a computer dubbed a “Web TV” system. The remote would contain an embedded microphone capable of accepting voice commands.
According to a post from Seth Weintraub at Computerworld, Apple may be making preparations to include a camera in the next-generation iPod touch or similar device. Digitimes reports that OmniVision has received orders from Apple for both 3.2 and 5 megapixel image sensors. While the 3.2MP sensors are commonly believed to be for the next-generation iPhone, the higher-resolution 5MP sensors are reportedly to be used for “another Apple product expected to be launched later in the year.” It is unclear whether this future Apple product would be the next-generation iPod touch or some other type of device, such as the oft-rumored “iTablet.” [via MacDailyNews]
MacTalk Australia reports that Vodafone Australia has apparently sent out an e-mail to its retail staff notifying them that the 16GB iPhone has been marked as “End of Life” by their iPhone supplier, Brightpoint. They go on to note that this announcement applies only to the 16GB model, and not the 8GB model, suggesting that there either may be a surplus stock of 8GB models or that Apple may retain an 8GB model as a “value option.”
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?