Mix: Yahoo on iPhone, AT&T switch, Zune HD, Wireless Sync
According to a recent report, Yahoo is scaling down its smartphone application development to focus more on applications for the iPhone. Beta testers of Yahoo’s Java-based mobile app reportedly received an e-mail this week stating that Yahoo has “ceased development” of that application and that the company will “focus efforts on the newly launched Yahoo Mobile experience for browsers and for the iPhone.”
AppleInsider reports that the iPhone has been a significant factor in encouraging many new customers to sign up for AT&T, now believed to be attracting a “full third of those switching providers towards AT&T.” Of the 13 percent of those surveyed who indicated that they were looking to leave their existing cellular providers, 33% indicated that they would move to AT&T when the time comes, versus 24 percent toward Verizon.
Microsoft has officially announced the Zune HD for a Fall release. The new device is positioned as a competitor to the iPod touch, and will include a 3.3-inch 480 x 272 OLED capacitive touchscreen display, built-in HD radio receiver, and HD video output via a dock. The device is reported to use a full multi-touch interface similar to that found on the iPod touch. Other details such as pricing and storage capacities have not yet been announced. [via Engadget]
Ex-hacker “DVD Jon” Johansen, best known for breaking the copy-protection on DVDs recently stated that his new firm DoubleTwist will be working to provide wireless synchronization for the iPod as well as developing a way to sell applications without going through Apple. It is unclear which particular models of iPod he is referring to and seems likely that these solutions would be implemented outside of Apple’s normal channels, without Apple’s blessing.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?