Mix: Zune, iHeist, McDonald’s, Steve Jobs | iLounge News

Mix: Zune, iHeist, McDonald’s, Steve Jobs

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, October 11, 2006
News Categories:

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer expressed to BusinessWeek that he wished Apple hadn’t dropped the price of the 30GB iPod before his company released its Zune Media Player. “Apple put the hammer down there, dropped the price down to $249. If they had been $299, it would have been nicer,” Ballmer said. “They have the advantage of scale. So we’re at $249, too. We don’t make a lot of money, not to start out.”

Three New Yorkers allegedly stole more than $7,000 in iPods from a Target store in Utah and had plans to do the same in other stores, according to police. “Surveillance tape from the Target store in Riverdale showed one of the suspects stuff 39 iPods down an oversized pair of pants and walked out of the store undetected… police also found a map of every Target store in Utah and Nevada tucked inside the seat of the suspect’s car.”

McDonald’s has started testing an in-store digital media service called m-Venue, offering music and videos from Sony BMG, Universal Music Group and others. “The service, announced September 25, allows customers to browse and download music and video from their mobile phone or Wi-Fi-connected laptop when within a specific area in the restaurant,” reports Reuters.

Bloomberg’s Graef Crystal comments on Apple’s stock option troubles. “Apple’s Steve Jobs should give it up,” says Crystal. “Some $85 million or so that the chief executive officer collected because of a sleight-of-hand the maker of the iPod music player and Macintosh computers engaged in when it awarded Jobs some mammoth stock option grants. That’s money that should go back to the shareholders.” [via MDN]

« Kid-friendly Tadpole iPod case announced

iRide glove box organizer for iPod introduced »

Comments

So Ballmer bombed? or what else is new at Microsoft…

“...suspects stuff 39 iPods down an oversized pair of pants…” So are you happy to see me or is that just 39 iPods in your pants?

McDonalds Media or “We add the pounds while we lighten your wallet.”

Graef is really just jealous.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 11, 2006 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

McDonalds doesn’t add pounds or lighten wallets, people who choose to eat McDonalds and choose to purchase McMedia add pounds to their own body and lighten their own wallets.  McDonalds is just a building.

Posted by TLo on October 11, 2006 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

McDonalds is just a building.

Besides, I like FahrenheiPod’s quip better.

Posted by flatline response on October 11, 2006 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

“No, MickieD’s is a multinational corporation, run by people who’s job IS to get that money out of the consumer’s pocket. That’s what the shareholders want, and the CEO, CFO and all their little minions aim to do.”

Right, but you CHOOSE to eat there. It isn’t their fault you can’t manage your diet.

Posted by Big C on October 11, 2006 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

Last time I checked, McDonalds’ food wasn’t free…oh so I guess they do lighten your wallet! And what’s this, their food is fattening too!?

Neither FahrenheiPod 451 nor flatline response said anything about whether it was your choice to walk into McDonalds or not, they simply said that McD’s goal is to take money from your wallet.

Posted by Nobody on October 11, 2006 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

...whereas OTHER corporations…umm…

right.

Posted by onlyshawn on October 11, 2006 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

Ahhhh, but there is a covert McDonalds plan of providing a two-fries-short of a Happy Meal for children, which in the girls’ case, is a pink miniature plastic iPod (nano-nano), the boys’, colored blue that plays the Who’s: We Won’t Get Fooled Again tune.

Children can now bound about in McDonalds Playland with fries in hand, nano-nano in the other, whilst scratchy lyrics fill the Playland with magic. Blissful calories jump into children’s tummies, and mom and dad have yet again fulfilled their parental duty—capitalism in a neat Value Meal, and ooooooh what a value it is!

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 11, 2006 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

Sorry? Is this a joke? Someone from Microsoft saying “They have the advantage of scale ... We don’t make a lot of money, not to start out.”

Are we supposed to feel sorry for MS ‘cause they’re the little guys now? If anyone has the financial clout to take on the iPod, MS does.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on October 11, 2006 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

I honestly don’t feel sorry for Microsoft, they can go have their pitty-party all they want, while I sit here, and listen to my iPod.  The Zune has already lost, if they really wanted into the market, they should have joined it back in 2001…

Posted by MatrixSJD on October 11, 2006 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

How do you stuff 39 iPods down your pants and still manage to walk out of the store undetected? That’s some top shelf security you’ve got there Target.

Posted by rainking187 on October 11, 2006 at 11:32 PM (PDT)

I’ve never been in a Target store that hasn’t had iPods locked up behind glass. Alas, I now see the reasons behind doing so.

Posted by bookcase on October 12, 2006 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Zune = doom.

Ballmer = idiot.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 12, 2006 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

Posted by Charles O. on October 12, 2006 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

“Graef Crystal ought to shut the hell up and get a REAL name before he/she even starts in on someone else.”

You seriously took the time to write a comment claiming that you’re disregarding someone’s opinion solely because of their NAME? I’d suggest you broaden your horizons a bit and keep an open mind before YOU even start in on someone else.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 12, 2006 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

I think Microsoft would happily lose money on every Zune sold, to get into the iPod market.

It’s what they did with Xbox.

Question for iPod owners: Would you go with a subscription approach if Apple introduced one through iTunes?

Just curious.

Posted by frabgod on October 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

No, I took the time to write that because Graef Crystal didn’t have anything useful, intelligent, creative, enlightening, or otherwise interesting to say to begin with (kind of like YOUR comment, BJ Nemeth). Picking on his/her name was just “the cherry on top” so to speak. I’d suggest you not give others advice about “broadening their horizons” or “keeping an open mind.” You’re human, I’m human; we all have our biases and prejudices, and for someone to profess to me that I should keep an open mind means that to give me that very advice—to DESERVE the PRIVILEGE of ADVISING me on ANYTHING—it would mean that you have to practice what you preach 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year/all your life. And since we’re both human—as I already stated I fairly certain you fall WAY short of that criteria. In short, do yourself a favor: Don’t advise me on ANYTHING. Like any other person on this planet I have my biases and my prejudices. There are so many people who aren’t “REAL” anymore because the minute they “step on someone else’s toes,” figuratively speaking they rush to backpedal and apologize just so they don’t seem like they’re such a “bad guy.” I don’t. I don’t give a $*#t. I offend you? Good. Get over it. We’re not all supposed to get along all the time. You’re living in a fairy-tale. Grow up. It is the height of arrogance to assume that open-mindedness=tolerance. Or that to be enlightened and have your “horizons broadened”=being accepting of everyone and forcing yourself to walk on eggshells just so you upset no one. In closing, you obviously had to be “schooled,” so I “schooled” you. Don’t like it, or don’t agree? Too bad, B l o w J o b Nemeth, it’s ALL fact.
Grow up and DEAL WITH IT.

Posted by Charles O. on October 13, 2006 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

I offend you? Good. Get over it.

Well personally I’m not offended. But it’s clear that whatever you DID get out of Crystal’s article, you DIDN’T get the fact that he’s a HE. It’s in there, plain as day. Considering how you missed that simple fact, why again should any of the rest of us bother to care about your opinion of Graef Crystal and his article?

Posted by flatline response on October 13, 2006 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

Charles O-face is right about one thing:  He can’t be helped or advised on anything.

Posted by DSM on October 14, 2006 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

Flathead Response: That’s why I wrote “he/she” because I honestly don’t care either way, I just put that there for the sake of the thing. I don’t care if you care about my opinion(s) on ##### Crystal and his article. It just shows that you’re retarded. Intelligent people agree with me. You’re obviously not one of those people.

DSM: You are, without a doubt, one of the biggest idiots I’ve ran into on this board. I don’t need to be helped or advised on anything. If you’re going to quote me or even paraphrase me, at least GET IT RIGHT, you fool.

Posted by Charles O. on October 14, 2006 at 10:59 PM (PDT)