MobileMe poll ends, Apple Fall 08 product poll begins | iLounge News

MobileMe poll ends, Apple Fall 08 product poll begins

With over 3,000 votes from iLounge readers, our latest iLounge poll — “Does Apple’s $99 MobileMe service interest you?” — has ended. Readers were given a variety of “Yes” choices, each including reasons why the service interested them, as well as a pair of “No” responses.

The majority (56%) of readers said “No,” MobileMe did not interest them, with 49% stating that it didn’t offer anything they would want to pay for, or for other reasons, while another 7% said they weren’t interested due to the various reports of service problems. Another 44% of readers were interested in the service, with 33% already subscribers: 21% of readers said they were subscribers mostly because of their PC or Mac needs, while another 12% said they subscribed mostly because of their iPhone/iPod touch needs. Finally, 6% of readers said they were not current subscribers but were interested mostly due to their iPhone and iPod touch needs, 3% were non-subscribers interested because of their Mac or PC needs, while only 2% said “Yes,” but for other reasons.

Our new poll focuses on Apple’s Fall 2008 lineup of products. We’d like to know: Are you considering purchasing one of Apple’s upcoming products, and if so, why? Do you simply want a currently-styled iPod, but with more capacity? Better battery life? Different colors? Are you hoping for a dramatic redesign? Or a new Mac? Or are you satisfied with the current options, and either planning to buy one of those, or simply sit this round out? The new poll, “Which one possible Fall 2008 Apple product has the best chance of winning your dollars?” lets you answer that question. As always, the iLounge Poll is on the left hand column of the main iLounge.com home page. Cast your vote today!

« App Store Finds: PhoneSaber removed, FMTouch, ProRemote, PuzzLoop

Mix: Disabling ‘bad’ apps, Apple patent, Aug. 22 iPhone country list finished [updated] »

Comments

What I’d really like is some sort of UMM (ultra mobile mac?). Or that rumored tablet (if it’s small enough).
Such a device would easily get my money…but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

Posted by Miranda Kali on August 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

Too bad MobileMe has such a bad rap. It’s a great service!

Posted by coolfactor on August 7, 2008 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

The problem with the poll is that there is not only one “current-styled iPod”, the big difference being the “Classic” styles and the “Touch”. What I think many of us are waiting for is an iPod Touch with the capacity approaching that of the iPod Classic. I don’t thnk we’ll see anywhere near 160GB anytime in the next two years, but I’m hoping for a least 128 GB sometime in the summer of 2009. I would guess that we’ll see the Touch with 64GB in September 08, but that’s not enough GB for me. smile

Tony

Posted by Tones3 on August 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

I’m still waiting for a 32GB iPhone…

Posted by sighte on August 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Just one wish Apple…I’d love to see a higher capacity iPod Classic with a slimmer form factor. Hard drives were fast to approach 1 TB so I don’t think it would be too much to ask for 200+ GBs in a portable device!

Posted by rodc on August 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

I just wish iLounge would quit hocking these polls as in any way valid (they should disclaim them). Polling cannot be conducted this way as to result in anything meaningful. It’s unfortunately one of the more popular misinformation vehicles in use today—the non-scientific Internet poll. So, sadly, this only moves us further into the void of ‘factless’ facts.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on August 7, 2008 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

With remote access to your library, there’s no reason to need more than 16GB or 32GB of local storage.  I think the iPod classic will finally be discontinued.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on August 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

I’d really like to see (at least) speed bumped Mac Pros. My G5 tower is showing its age and it’s time to upgrade, but because it’s a business expense I don’t want to make the purchase next year. Looks like new Mac Pros are unlikely until January at least though.

Posted by Surfmonkey on August 7, 2008 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

#6: Take the chip on your shoulder somewhere else. There’s nothing in this poll or any other on iLounge that claims broad scientific validity or anything more than results of a poll of our readers. If you have such a major problem with polls, don’t read them. Seriously.

That having been said, our typical sample size of over 3,000 people per poll is larger than many major media surveys you see on technology topics—far larger than ones you’ve seen reported elsewhere as supposedly indicative of broader market trends. We don’t make any big claims for our polls, and don’t try to market them elsewhere. So, the results mightn’t be representative of whatever broad demographic you’re trying to understand, but we conduct the polls because we’re interested in knowing what our responding readers think, and we’re satisfied with what we see.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 7, 2008 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

I’m planning to replace my 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 with a mid to top of the line, refurbished fall 2008 15” MacBook Pro in spring 2009.

Posted by Ben on August 7, 2008 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

...Middle finger received, #9. Thanks.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on August 7, 2008 at 10:59 PM (PDT)

iPod Touch come Fall if in-the-box Bluetooth to wireless DJ cans and/or DJ mixing console can shake-the-house…

Posted by UlsterMusic.com on August 8, 2008 at 3:50 AM (PDT)

What I really, really want to see is a new iPod touch that contains a real built-in speaker. I will upgrade if they come out with that. Bonus points if it also includes a mic and GPS, but the main thing I want is a real speaker. With all the games and such available from the AppStore it’s even more needed than before and I also want it for listening to podcasts, where sound quality isn’t a big deal.

Posted by Crunc on August 8, 2008 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

I have a 3G iPhone which also serves as my iPod.  I also have an old iBook that is going on 4 years old, and will consider a MacBook if an appealing new model is announced.

Posted by Alex on August 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

I have an iPod touch 8GB now, and I hope that apple will reinvent it with speakers, a new back (like the iPhone) and a camera! Then I will buy one and not an iPhone…
Or a new mac… but we’ll just see

Posted by Dries on August 10, 2008 at 4:47 AM (PDT)