Monster Cable Releases iCarPlay FM Transmitter & Charger | iLounge News

Monster Cable Releases iCarPlay FM Transmitter & Charger

piciLounger ‘Indolering’ has informed us that Monster Cable Products has quietly released a new FM transmitter for 3G iPods on its website. The Monster Cable iCarPlay Wireless - FM Transmitter features an inline, one-button FM channel selection with eight available channels, Smart Digital Charger and 24k gold contacts. “ Plug the iCarPlay Wireless charger end into the 12v outlet (cigarette lighter) in your car and plug the other end into the dock connector on the bottom of your iPod. Select an FM station on the iCarPlay Wireless, and find the same station on your car stereo; pick your favorite song on your iPod and you’re ready to roll. Your music transmits wirelessly to your car stereo using FM radio frequencies.” The iCarPlay is available now at the online Apple Store for $69 with an estimated 1-2 business days for shipping.

« iTunes Music Store - More than 25 Million Songs Downloaded

iPod 30GB for $399 shipped »

Comments

i wonder if this is really Monster-ously better than other offerings

Posted by dfbills in NYC on December 14, 2003 at 6:04 PM (CST)

I ordered an ipod, the griffin iTrip, and the XtremeMac - Car Charger for New iPods this will do the same will it not.  The total of these two is $55.  The iTrip plugs into the top and the charger to the bottom so i can charge and broadcast FM at the same time.  Right? There would be no reason to order this product instead would there?

Posted by guitar814 on December 14, 2003 at 6:41 PM (CST)

guitar814: yes it will, monster is audiophile quality sound. have fun with your new ipod :)

Posted by iBookiPod on December 14, 2003 at 7:21 PM (CST)

I don’t see how monster could magically improve the FM frequency.  My guess would be that one would have to look at the chipset for the FM transmitter to see if Monster could do anything, gold connectors don’t improve radio signals.  Also with only 8 channels I worry about the use compared to iTrip with its full spectrum availability.  Are these just presets that can be changed, or are they etched into the ROM code?

dfbills:No, unless you want to get possibly higher quality sound on an untested unit.

Posted by Indolering on December 14, 2003 at 8:48 PM (CST)

Is it me, or are iPod accessories outrageously priced?

Posted by Mountain Man on December 14, 2003 at 9:00 PM (CST)

ya, keep your wallet out even after you buy your ipod!

Posted by aswimmer94563 on December 14, 2003 at 10:00 PM (CST)

Yes, Monster is *marketed* as audiophile quality.  That said, you can do a LOT better for your money when it comes to anything they make (power supplied, cabling, etc).  It’s not terrible stuff, but it’s just not any better than, say, RadioShack’s top end cabling.

Posted by chupacabra on December 14, 2003 at 10:34 PM (CST)

This was tested in the Bay Area (says apple store salesmen). Very busy airwaves. Anyone know if one of the optional freq. is 93.7?

As for sound quality… Since it uses the dock connecter, it means that it makes use of the line out. iTrip cannot do that.

I disagree that Monster is the same level as Radioshack, no matter if it’s their best or worse stuff. I’m not so sure about all of monster equipment, but as for guitar cables, nothing really beats them. Life time gaurentee, exellent shielding, great contacts. They have more than just “internet hype”. Granted some of their connectors could be replaced by cheeper couterparts from radioshack, when it comes down to it, Monster has always had exellent quality controll IME.

Posted by Lance on December 15, 2003 at 12:07 AM (CST)

from my experience as an audiophile and gaming nerd, Monster is tops when it comes to cables. TOPS.

that said, i got the new itrip for my own ipod, and probably would’ve stayed with it even if this had come out earlier, just because it costs way too much, considering my paycheck.

2 advantages i immediately see though are that the charger/transmitter are combined, and that you can still use your remote control thing that plus into the top, unlike with the itrip.

Posted by eric on December 15, 2003 at 6:31 AM (CST)

My only problem with Monster is that while they have a lot of cool names for what there products do (like some cell phone companies do for vibrating rings) many just don’t matter.  S-Video and Component cables were designed to get around all the conventional problems of cableing that Monster’s gold connections, extra sheilding, etc works on.  So a Monster S-Video, Component cables, and Digital sound just doesn’t do a whole lot, something that I fear will happen with the Monster FM transmitter since it is the FM band that is limiting the factor, not the cables/connectors themselves.

Posted by Indolering on December 15, 2003 at 7:56 AM (CST)

Sorry, eric; chupacabra is right. Monster cable is adequate, but it’s DEFINITELY not tops as far as audio cables go. Ever hear of Cardas? Kimber? Tara Labs? They’re all superior. Of course, most audiophile gear is only for those with deep pockets, but almost any other audiophile cable brand will give you better bang for your buck.

Monster cable is a lot like Bose; their stuff is only marginally better than average, but through marketing, (and, albeit, SOME research and product development) they’ve cultivated a public image that makes people call them the “best”.

Posted by sam on December 15, 2003 at 8:03 AM (CST)

sam is right on both counts.  Although I’m not sure if I agree that Bose is even better than average.  And lots of true audiophiles (check out some of the wallet draining equipment owned by the members at www.head-fi.org forum) would laugh at the notion that Monster cable is “tops”.

Anyway, to me, upgrading cables is the lowest bang for the buck upgrade which is why I haven’t focussed on that aspect and probably won’t.  Check out http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48858&highlight=best+rca+cables
for an example of the cable madness.

Posted by Daffy_Duck on December 15, 2003 at 10:42 AM (CST)

speaking for audiphiles at a local home theater store in sacramento - selling equipment from 3 grand to above 20 grand - with cables running from 60 to 1000’s - monster doesnt cut it - there are much better alternative for around same price -  dont be fooled people; monster is avg/decent - but not great -  i recommend stopping by a home theater shop for ur great cables.  then again if ur playing out of a sub $1500 system i wouldnt be too overly concerned.  me - never monster - theyre for the unknowledgable crowd - just like the people that think BOSE is the best - hah -  - if they only new whats out there!!!!

Posted by gabe on December 15, 2003 at 12:16 PM (CST)

could someone forward us to better equipment, please? im a newb, so i need some guidance.

Posted by Fiddytree on December 15, 2003 at 1:48 PM (CST)

“upgrading cables is the lowest bang for the buck upgrade”

I used to think that but that was back when I only had a 2G iPod with regular analog output. I tried using better cables but the sound was always just “ok”.

Then I got an iRiver with optical out. So now instead of wasting money on expensive analog cables, any old TOSLINK cable gives me amazingly pristine sound quality from the iRiver right into my home theater.

I’ve listened to the exactly the same MP3s on amp from both the iPod and the iRiver and there is no doubt but that the iRiver with TOSLINK blows away my iPod. I use the iPod for casual listening in the car but when I really want to crank it up I use the iRiver. I am afraid if and when the iPod battery dies I will not be getting another one but probably another iRiver or another player with simple reliable digital interconnects.

Posted by SPDIF on December 15, 2003 at 2:25 PM (CST)

Problem is it looks like it only works in a car, because of the cable. I like the fact that my iTrip will work anywhere.

it looks cool though, and I guess wouldn’t drain the iPod like the iTrip does (8 hours drops to about 2.5 hours with the iTrip running).

Posted by Deejemon on December 17, 2003 at 2:22 AM (CST)

Griffin claim hardly ANY power drain - are you sure your battery doesn’t need replacing? Any other users have power probs? I’m getting a 40g iPod with iTrip in a week, so welcome your thoughts!

Posted by dunny-dweller on January 20, 2004 at 6:21 AM (CST)

Anyone have *specific* experience with both the iTrip vs. the iCarPlay?  I’m going to be buying a new (3g) 40Gb iPod in a few weeks, and am torn as to which model to get.  Hearing (as you surely must already know) good AND bad things about iTrip…but nothing specific about iCarPlay’s FM performance except that Monster cables aren’t necessarily as good as other audiophile cables.

How about some real world comparative advice for a noob?

Posted by Breathe on February 10, 2004 at 10:27 AM (CST)

the best bang for anyones buck is to send it to me, ya don’t go off and buy this iShit, iCrap iThis and iThat, just send your money to me so you know you did good!

Posted by mak on March 7, 2004 at 9:37 AM (CST)