Monster’s SuperDiscs feature HD music files for iPod | iLounge News

Monster’s SuperDiscs feature HD music files for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 24, 2005
News Categories: Music

Monster Music, a division of Monster Cable Products, has launched the SuperDisc, a new data disc format that features high definition music files ready to drag-and-drop to your iPod.

SuperDiscs include music files encoded directly from the master recordings in AAC (320 kbps), WMA (192 kbps), and Apple Lossless (PCM 48/16). The discs also include Dolby Headphone encoded music files which “give an iPod a surround sound music experience through any pair of headphones.” The SuperDiscs will also come with discs for stereo CD players and DVD players.

“SuperDiscs pioneer the use of advanced technologies that bring a ‘Monstrous’ gain in performance, completely redefining the ultimate entertainment experience,? explained Monster Music’s Noel Lee. “Each limited edition release is painstakingly mixed and mastered to bring out all the clarity, detail and excitement of the original performance.?

The first group of SuperDiscs will be released next month. The small collection includes music from Ray Charles, Peter Cincotti, and 3 Doors Down.

« iTunes Music Store launches in Australia (Updated)

Microsoft VP: We’re ready to work with Apple on Xbox 360 »

Comments

Wow, finally a disk format I can stand behind.  I’m not big on SACD or DVD-Audio, but this sounds cool.  Dolby Headphone technology is AMAZING.  I hope they don’t just have a lot of classical and jazz bands like SACD and the other formats.  Thats one reason I could never get into it.  3 Doors Down is a good sign.

Posted by Rishard Chapoteau on October 24, 2005 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

Hmmmm, I might take back that statement.  The 3 Doors Down is a DVD they are selling for 30 bux with audio aac files on it.  I might have spent 30 dollars on it, but I’m not sure I want to spend 30 since I don’t really care about seeeing the video.  Also I don’t much care for a live version either.  Its also missing some songs I would have liked.  Oh well.

Posted by Rishard Chapoteau on October 24, 2005 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

Anyone have more information on this “Dolby Headphone Surround” technology? I’ve never heard of it, but it sounds somewhat interesting. (It also sounds somewhat like marketing bull). In any event, 48 khz Apple Lossless files might make these worthwhile, assuming they back up their technology with solid music.

Posted by rhythmicmoose on October 24, 2005 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Here is a website to get more information rhythmicmoose

Posted by Jonathan Keim on October 24, 2005 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

Check out the demo on the site.  Its pretty badass!

Posted by Rishard Chapoteau on October 24, 2005 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

Intervideo WinDVD on Windows has had “Dolby Headphone Surround” for years… that can be used by any multichannel source, like a DVD movie.  Just another multiple speaker “simulation.”

Posted by John P. on October 24, 2005 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

This format won’t get off the ground. Between SACD and DVD-Audio, and the ongoing debate as to whether HD DVD or Blu-Ray will become the next big versatile disc medium, people simply don’t need yet another format to be confused by. Yeah, it’s nice to have files preripped for you, but I’d bet that they’ll try to work some kind of sneaky DRM in there anyway, just to appease the RIAA.

Posted by Dr. Webster on October 24, 2005 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

YAY! Another format!
Come on this is getting crazy…

Posted by Orguss on October 24, 2005 at 10:12 PM (PDT)

I can rip for myself, thanks a lot. Seeing ALAC and HQ AAC is of course nice, as well as Dolby Headphone (why is there no DH feature on iPod yet?), but frankly, I do prefer spending 5min ripping my own files from a PROPER CDDA / SACD Hybrid with proper CDDA layer over dragging probably DRMd to the brim pre-rips off yet another format.

Posted by Bad Beaver on October 24, 2005 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

Why not 24 bit? It is stupid to try and make a new format and not do 24 bit. A 48kz recording may give you a wider frequency range but 24 bit is more accurate and has a bigger dynamic range. They probably messed up the recording with their lame “digital remaster” crap.

Posted by Notagumshoe on October 25, 2005 at 1:03 AM (PDT)

To bad they’re such a sleazy company…

Posted by m.s. on October 25, 2005 at 4:03 AM (PDT)