More info on Burton Amp Pack and jackets | iLounge News

More info on Burton Amp Pack and jackets

Burton recently announced new iPod compatible Ronin 2L and Shield jackets for men, Radar 2L for women, and the Amp Pack backpack. Burton has since updated their website with information on each new product including an Amp Pack video.

« $60 Sony iPod Killer? Not Likely.

Sony to launch ‘Walkman of the future’ to rival iPod »

Comments

I dont know ‘bout you but for 200 dollars, that backpack should look a little nicer than that.

There’s my 2 cents

Posted by iPodfreak17 on November 5, 2003 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

I agree with you on that one.

And for a pack that’s as much about snowboarding as it is about the Pod I would have expected more features, there seems to a complete lack of compatibilty with a hydration system and no board carriers, making it of little use other than as a street back, but then that’s probably the target audience.

Posted by Gav on November 5, 2003 at 3:54 AM (PDT)

Yeah definitely.. it’s not all that fantastic for the money. I’d rather spend much less and get a crumpler (http://www.crumpler.com.au)! At least they’re bulging with pockets and velcro!

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on November 5, 2003 at 4:11 AM (PDT)

It’s definately a street backpack not a board bag (it’s designed to hold a laptop).  Also, I think it looks pretty rockin’.  It’s really sleek and plain looking, yet it unique enough that it’ll grab people’s attention.  $200 is a lot of cash, but it’s only being produced in limited quantities, and I doubt it’s cheap to make a backpack designed specifically for a $300-$500 mp3 player and that “SOFTSwitch” stuff probably isn’t exactly cheap either.  This is a premium item for those interested and I for one am definately interested.

Posted by Festooner on November 5, 2003 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

I think I can find more justification for myself (or more to the point my girlfriend) in adding $90 to the price of a technical snowboard jacket than I can for shelling our $200 on a street pack smile

Posted by Gav on November 5, 2003 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

I think it’s pretty clear that Burton avoided designing these things radically as to try to appeal to more of us.. I mean, there is a plain dark brown jacket, a plain black one, and a very clean looking, black bag… simple and stylish, just like the ipod

Posted by touch sensitive on November 5, 2003 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

also, I was thinking about buying the amp bag, but under the features list, I found this.. “Compatible exclusively with the next generation of AppleŽ iPods”.. I’m assuming this means it isn’t compatible at all with my 2G ipod which is unfortunate..

Posted by touch sensitive on November 5, 2003 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

Well after photos like those count me in for getting the Sheild jacket. It looks great and it’ll be fun to have this winter. I agree that the backpack doesn’t look like a snowboarding backpack, but I think it should look cool once you get it out to an urban enviroment.

Posted by zelig2 on November 5, 2003 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

yes I figure they are G3 only, the sentence is fairly explicit but I’d still like someone to say “this jacket will not work with an old iPod”.
I got a confused* e-mail from Burton Austria which may say (depending on your interpretation) that DrBott sell and adaptor for the jackets. They certainly sell one to use a new iPod on an old jacket, not so sure about the other way round.

* Their English is better than my Austrian

Posted by mark on November 5, 2003 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

Ok Im missing something whats the difference between Men’s Ronin 2L Jacket $359.95 and the Men’s Shield Jacket $379.95?

I think Id rather get a wireless remote and a gortex snowboarding coat. But then again the reg. price on a normal burton Ronin jacket is still $339 Maybe it isn’t such a bad deal since I was going to get a burton jacket anyway.

Posted by Mikey on November 5, 2003 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

I would buy the backpack if it were $125 US, how much does all of ths softswitch stuff cost?  I love the product but $200 US is just way too much for a poor student like myself.  I can justify a $500 for a music player/ portable hard drive.  But I can’t justify a $200 for a school bag that hides my wires.

Now I would pay $200 if it came with an LCD display raspberry

Posted by mike on November 5, 2003 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

anyone able to buy this on the burton website? have’nt seen it on the apple site either? any ideas?

Posted by methodz on November 5, 2003 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

I love the backpack, I just wish it were a little more affortable. I would drop a $100 on it easy though. I’m sure the technology will get cheaper with time.

Posted by Locke on November 5, 2003 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

does the pack hold the ipod in a waterproof compartment??

Posted by andrew on November 5, 2003 at 8:31 PM (PDT)

new video on the Burton site showing the AMP pack:

Posted by mark on November 6, 2003 at 1:17 AM (PDT)

I don’t have a G3 iPod, can anyone tell looking at the AMP pack video how the softswitch remote connects. More precisely it doesn’t appear to use the two side connections unique to the G3 iPod. Does the G3 iPod remote work through the minijack plug or these side connections, could the new jacket / bag work with a G2 iPod?

questions questions questions….
thanks

Posted by mark on November 6, 2003 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

umm what about when new ipods come out different size or your ipod dies whats the compartment for smokes?

Posted by mike on December 10, 2003 at 1:32 PM (PDT)