More iPod muggings in UK | iLounge News

More iPod muggings in UK

Back in Febrary we we reported that the “This is London” website was reporting that iPod owners were being targeted by criminals. Today, “The Register UK” is reporting a person was mugged for their iPod.

“West Midlands police have issued a stark warning to iPod users: ditch the white headphones or pay the price.

Fashion-conscious music lovers are apparently being targeted by muggers. The Times tells the sorry tale of 22-year-old language student Roland Baskerville, who lost his 20GB model on the mean streets of Birmingham: “I was walking down the road near to my home when a man who was walking the other way pointed at my headphones.”

The thief then asked Baskerville if he was listening to an iPod and, receiving an affirmative answer, he “pulled a knife out and started waving it at me, saying:

Comments

I carry my iPod and don’t use phones at all….safest way

Posted by joni on March 31, 2004 at 5:00 AM (CST)

“I’m sure you’d do just the same if someone came up and tried to rob you.”

First of all, this dude was pretty stupid for telling the dude he was listening to an iPod. Didn’t his parents teach him not to talk to strangers? Secondly, drug crazed crooks aren’t really scary. Take a look at the Middle East or better yet, at Martha Stewart! Now if she were to rob me, I probably would hand it over!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 31, 2004 at 7:39 AM (CST)

I stay in my house and live like a hermit because I’m so scared….. mummy!

Posted by me on March 31, 2004 at 7:40 AM (CST)

“...THE HOOLIGANS ARE LOOSE!
They we’re last seen knocking over a dustbin in Shaftesbury…”

Posted by mezcalhead on March 31, 2004 at 8:33 AM (CST)

Panic on the streets of London…

Panic on the streets of Birmingham…

Posted by Steven on March 31, 2004 at 11:13 AM (CST)

After my 5gig ipod broke, i took the battery and hard drive out of it, gave them to my friend and now i carry it in my backback beside my new 15 gig pod. Anytime any teacher tries to take my ipod from me for listening to it in class (my school is pretty strict about music players) i just hand over my broken 5 gig pod and get it back from them at the end of the day. If you’re scared about getting your pod jacked, you could try a similar method

Posted by carbu on March 31, 2004 at 4:10 PM (CST)

I’ve seen a couple of people around with the headphone and thought.. “damn they got an iPod..” like what someone else said, I’m suprized it’s not happening more often.

I already have some dope headphones ready when my iPod arrives..

Posted by ddudee on March 31, 2004 at 4:11 PM (CST)

I don’t use the earbuds that came with my iPod at all. I use the ones that came with my iRiver SlimX 350 and attach them to the remote control. I put my iPod in my pocket and run the wire under my coat or jacket so it’s not noticeable.

Posted by iPodite on March 31, 2004 at 5:17 PM (CST)

Anybody wanna carry their ‘Pod in South-Central LA? It ain’t “Do you have an iPod, hand it over” - it’s more like “Yo bitch, hand that schiznit over!!”

Posted by UTEP_MinerPod on March 31, 2004 at 7:54 PM (CST)

This is the problem with the UK. Guns are outlawed and crime has gone through the roof. First of all he should have been wary when they guy asked him if he had the iPod. When the knife appeared, so would have my gun. A lot of crime happens because you let it.

Posted by BigBoned on March 31, 2004 at 8:36 PM (CST)

Yeah the UK’s laws a rubbish alright, the only laws that are effectively enforced are the ones denying you the right to protect yourself.

This country blows. I wanna leave.

Posted by Peace out nigga on April 1, 2004 at 5:30 AM (CST)

Its great when a guy can come to your house break in steal all your belongs and rape your family but if you shot him, youd be the criminal. Funny how that works hmm? BTW I’d have told him where to go and hightailed it out of there. No ones getting my 10gig Ipod!!!

Posted by I_Love_My_Ipod on April 1, 2004 at 7:11 AM (CST)

Speaking of IPOD headphones, I just bought the in-the-ear headphones and I absolutely adore them!  They are SOOO comfortable and they sound much better than the buds.  No, I will not change the color of my headphones to keep a thief from targeting me because he knows I have an IPOD.  I will be damned if I am going to walk around like a scared little rabbit.  I bought the thing, I’m going to enjoy the thing.  If someone puts a gun to my head and demands my IPOD, he can have it.  I’ll just go to the store and buy another one.  And perhaps this time I will get the 40 instead of the 20.  Maybe I’ll be able to fill up the 40 by the time I’m 109 years old.

Posted by Ladimystyk on April 1, 2004 at 1:48 PM (CST)

How stupid can you get?
Why else would anyone ask if you had an ipod in the street?
Shows the intelligence of the average Brummie….

Posted by Ed on April 2, 2004 at 2:43 PM (CST)

My school if your seen with a knife your dead! so people carry screwdrivers.. good idea yeh? YES a boy got stabbed in the leg by a screwdriver and people go around bursting balls pisses them off loads, its really quite fun! so be aware of screwdrivers too!! lol,

What i do is i plug my itrip into my ipod and have it in my bag, then my radio in my pocket with headphones, then if the try to hurt me, i just hand over the crappy radio,
they will never know i have a ipod unless they ask for my bag, Britain is poo, where did world peace go??? Joking is funny about mugging, but you dont get so happy when it comes to you!, If only people got on with their lives…....

Some serious talk! lol…. :)

Posted by Mark on April 4, 2004 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

gosh i talk poo. When will be the day where you can just keep all your music at home and handle it wirelessly just like an ipod but much cheaper, so it doesnt matter if it gets mugged….. i feel an invetion! keep look apple!

Posted by Mark on April 4, 2004 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

UM…does ANYBODY know what Mark just said??????

Posted by Ladimystyk on April 21, 2004 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2