More on iPod battery woes | iLounge News

More on iPod battery woes

“Which brings us to the hate part. Heinke has had battery problems with every single iPod he’s ever owned the first, the second and now the third. Even the most avid Macintosh enthusiast, he says, will tell you the iPod has a chronic problem with overstating its battery life and how long it lasts.

‘The good side is you’re just so happy to have one if you’re working out. It’s small and it fits in your pocket,’ he says. Then he adds with a laugh, ‘You just have to know how much power you have to have in the damn thing.’”

« Waiting in line for an iPod mini

RIAA sued for racketeering »

Comments

I have 4 3G iPods, which I used to connect through individual power adapters. Now I connect them throught a FireWire hub Only one is ever docked, and none are set tp FireWire disk mode. Once fully charged, the screens go blank. When I press a button, it restarts (with the Apple logo). I was told by AppleCare that this is standard behavior. When I unplug it, it’s not fully charged, but not drained eaither.

This issue started surfacing for me when I upgraded the software to 2.1 - it didn’t happen in 2.0. So I don’t know if I am getting any worse battery life.

I DO know that, fully charged, I was able to use it on a flight from San Francisco to Miami, with a layover in Denver. I didn’t really stop it except for the obligatory time right before take-off and landing. Admittedly, when I got to Miami, the battery was just about drained, but I did get about 6 or 7 hours use.

So I wonder if this is an issue with the 2.1 iPod software?

Posted by Scott on February 23, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

ok not sure if this has been covered cuz I don’t have time to read all the posts but like many people my iPod (first generation 10gig) seemed to lose battery life even though it stated it was fully charged. What I found out was that when your iPod “says” it fully charged, unplug it and plug it back in, it’ll then continue to charge. Seems my battery is just fine, it’s something with the system that says it charged when it really isn’t yet.

Posted by kyre on February 23, 2004 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

What veeryone seems to be forgetting here is that battery life is DIRECTLY related to the resolution/bitrate of the MP3’s that you use. SO, it’s a tradeoff; higher the quality, the shorter the life. The disc has to spin/cache more for larger files….it’s pretty simple.

Posted by angry_black_man on February 24, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Pam:

For Christ’s sake, call Apple and get a new one. Your iPod is clearly defective, and you have a year warranty. “$400 wasted” Hah! Are you this passive in all aspects of life?

Posted by Questioner on February 24, 2004 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

Everyone has been clamoring for the iPod to have a lithium-polymer battery that lasts longer than the current one. This exists—it’s called iPod G2. The newer version has a slightly smaller motherboard, but most of the reduced space comes from the smaller lithium battery. One can’t escape trade-offs.

Posted by Questioner on February 24, 2004 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

I have to agree…the Gen 2 I-Pods are overlooked by many. Min is 1 1.2 years old and still kicks.

Posted by angry_black_man on February 24, 2004 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

Here’s a thought—can volume affect battery charge duration?  I think we can all agree that the discussion re: ff/rw, backlight duration, bitrate, etc. certainly affect a battery charge, but maybe volume is a variable.

For those seeing <7 hours, do you listen to few/some/most/all tracks at earbleeding volumes?  Same question for >7.5 hour listeners.

I for one listen to few tracks at really high volume—maybe 1 in 30—and I’m seeing in excess of 8.5 hours from my 3G 40GB.  Haven’t yet drained it all the way down to zero charge (thought I read that this reduces battery life long term).

Thoughts?

Posted by Breathe on February 25, 2004 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

from batteryuniversity.com:

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as “digital memory”. Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery’s state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

Posted by sketch on February 25, 2004 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

Ok I thought this battery thing was getting blown outta proportion. In the last 3 weeks I have gone from 8-9 hours to about 4 I only use it in the car going to work about 35 there and 35 mins backby wednesday its discharged.

I dont ever leave it constantly docked to the pc only if I need to sync it and I dont be fiddling with the menu cos obviously im driving?

Whats the story??
Its a 2nd Gen I’ve had from new and is approx 13 months old.

Whats there to do? I remember a post a while back on a couple of step to try but cant find it atm.

Also did I read that apple were to extend the warranty for battery issues to 2 years? no?

Nick

Posted by Nick on February 25, 2004 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

Ohh what this a Protection Plan? pfff
Over the last three weeks as in the last post my battery has started to diminish by about half. If the engine in your car did the same would everyone start buying protection plans for there car engines?

A car we’ll say gets used evey day and has we’ll say a 3 year unlim mile warranty, in the 4th year all engines/most start falling to bits what happens?
f*** that.

Posted by Nick on February 25, 2004 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3