More than 6 million Americans listen to podcasts | iLounge News

More than 6 million Americans listen to podcasts

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, April 4, 2005
News Categories: Music

Nearly 30 percent of U.S. consumers who own an iPod or other MP3 player have downloaded and listened to podcasts from the web, according to a new survey released this week. The Pew Internet and American Life Project said that means more than 6 million Americans are taking advantage of the new form of personal broadcasting. The survey also found that nearly half of MP3 player owners younger than 29 years old have tried podcasts, compared with 20 percent of those 29 or older.

iLounge has already released two Podcasts of its own, and plans further installments for the near future.

« ShuffleArt vinyl skins for iPod shuffle released

ShuffleMate for iPod shuffle now shipping »

Comments

about 80% of the “songs” on my 40GB iPod are radio shows or some kind of Podcast file. I don’t listen to much music on the thing!

Anyone know where I can find Battlestar Galactica Podcasts for episodes 1-8? They do have 9-13 here: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

Ron Moore has recorded commentary for the episodes and they are very good.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 4, 2005 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

I don’t believe these results—did they say how many people were questioned? I’ve owned 4 iPods in my time, and know a bunch of people who have them and they weren’t questioned. Who are they asking?

Podcasting is still new, I don’t think it’d get that popular that fast. Who knows, could be wrong.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on April 4, 2005 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

Umm, right. Obviously you don’t undestand how surveys work, narco. They don’t ask everybody who has ever had an iPod. That would be almost impossible. They sample a relatively small group representing the population and survey them. What would have been nice, however, is a margin of error so we could see how accurate it was.

Posted by catboy17 on April 4, 2005 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

yeah right

Posted by dfbills in NYC on April 4, 2005 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

So if 30% is too high then what would be a more believeable figure.

And Podcast is still new, yes. But generally people who use MP3 players and other realativly new gadgets are the type of people to jump into new things. You think the people who have an iPod are just going to wait and see if this Podcasting thing takes off? They are just going to stick to music files to listen to?

I have a PSP but I’m just going to play Donkey Kong on it.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 4, 2005 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

I need to “spell check”

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 4, 2005 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

Personally, most of the Podcasts I’ve heard are complete crap. There are about a handful of good Podcast worth downloading (iPodLounge’s for example).

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on April 4, 2005 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

The results are invalid…the margin of error is +/- 7.5 points, the sample size for the podcast numbers is only 208, and the question the the number is based on was:

“Have you ever downloaded a podcast or internet radio program so you could listen to it on your digital audio player at a later time?”

This survey is an embarrassment, and so is the fact that everyone is blindly reporting the supposed results without doing some fact-checking first. Has everyone forgotten that in February FeedBurner reporting that for the 1,750 podcasts they hosted the average number of listeners was 14-15? Or has anyone done the match and figured out that if 6 million podcast listeners listened to a conservative average of four shows each then that would mean that the 4000 shows at iPodder.org are averaging 6,000 listeners each?! Give me a break.

Posted by Craig P. in San Diego, CA on April 4, 2005 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

I didn’t look at the figures, but 30% sounds like a reasonable number.

I haven’t heard a lot of pod casts, most of the stuff I listen to are actual radio shows that aired on FM or XM radio before I put them on my iPod. The commentary tracks for BSG are good though.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 4, 2005 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

30% is a reasonable number for people who have at least taken a peak at Podcast, maybe listened to a bit of one to see what it’s about, not 30% of iPod users are like me who don’t use the iPod primarily for music.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on April 4, 2005 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Well where are they all? My ‘cast averages 2000 downloads a show, I want a bigger slice of that 6 million pie smile

-shameless plug
  [url=http://www.mashuppodcast.co.uk]http://www.mashuppodcast.co.uk[/url]

Posted by tbr on April 4, 2005 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

NO WAY! The average ipod user is technologically inept (I’m talking about average joe here…) I HIGHLY doubt 30% of mp3 players even know what a podcast is. I’d put the number at 10% or less. Think about it, ALL mp3 players..

Posted by steel102 on April 4, 2005 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

I don’t see the big deal about podcasting at all.  And they say that podcasting is “the next big thing”.  It is the same concept of downloading an interview that was on the radio that you’ve missed for example.  What is the big deal ? Wake up and smell the coffee, but this isn’t new, people.  Some wiseass has given it a name.  For example, if you are a Java programmer, you’ll know that a Bean is just a class with getters and setters.  Whoopee!

Posted by themusicman in South Africa on April 4, 2005 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

Yes it isn’t really anything new, but what make’s it different is not the content but the delivery system. You simply say
‘I want to listen to that show’
Then when there is a new show it’s automatically downloaded and put in your playlists on your computer/mp3 player. You don’t have to think about it, remember when it’s available to download. Not restricted to set delivery times or schedules. This is what makes it interesting. You’ll NEVER miss a show and can listen to them when You want.
Also the creator of the content is not restricted to a set delivery schedule (although many do) They can do shows when THEY want. This is very freeing for the creator.

Posted by tbr on April 5, 2005 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

My iPodder works correctly about once every 5 weeks.  I’m about done with podcasting because of it.

It keeps trying to download the same episode of podcasts its already downloaded.  Frustrating.

Posted by OMGWTFSTFU in United States on April 5, 2005 at 10:11 AM (PDT)