Mossberg: iPhone Flash support in ‘next couple of months’ | iLounge News

Mossberg: iPhone Flash support in ‘next couple of months’

Wall Street Journal columnist Walt Mossberg claims that flash support will be coming to the iPhone in an early software update. In a piece entitled “Questions About Apple’s iPhone,” Mossberg responds to a question regarding the iPhone’s inability to play many internet videos, stating, “Apple says it plans to add [an Adobe Flash] plug-in through an early software update, which I am guessing will occur within the next couple of months.” Lack of Flash support in the iPhone’s Safari browser has been a main issue in early reviews of the device. In addition, Mossberg also references Apple’s iPhone service FAQ, which reveals that should an iPhone need repairs, a loaner iPhone can be rented during the service period for $29.

« v-Moda Vibe Duo now available

O2 to carry iPhone in UK? [updated] »

Comments

I think seamless, regular software updates are going to make the iPhone even more popular. Okay, so maybe you can’t drop a 3G update in there, but I believe we’ll see Apple respond to consumer criticism with a lot of useful tweaks. So far, here are my chief annoyances:

1. You cannot attach more than one photo in a single email, and if you intend to send a pic, you have to do so from the Photos widget. In other words, you can’t compose an email and then decide to attach a picture.

2. You can’t reorder the stocks you have listed in that widget.

3. No landscape keyboard in emails? Seems odd. Also, with respect to the keyboard, I’d like to see the period and comma made more readily available, since they are so commonly used.

4. Someone needs to settle the issue of whether the camera can, in fact, record video clips. I have seen very mixed messages about this, but if it is capable of that, then this feature is needed. And can digital zoom be incorporated via software, or is that a hardware issue?

5. Passwords need to be visible, or at least each letter needs to be visible for a finite amount of time (couple of seconds, maybe) before turning into an asterisk.

6. I would like to see percentage of precipitation added to the weather widget, or at least the option to include it. Might be useful for us weather geeks.

7. Make the Notes widget capable of being synced.

8. Safari closes too often for my tastes. Can’t figure out if it’s certain sites or particular quirks in the software, but it’s a minor irritation.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 5, 2007 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

Flippy, I hope someone at Apple reads this forum. These are some are the first intelligent “I wish my iPhone had…” thoughts I’ve read so far.

Posted by thelottery on July 5, 2007 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

I would love flash added to the iPhone. Stickam cam player on the iPhone would be awesome.

Posted by Gee on July 5, 2007 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

One think I was looking for really really much was that the bluetooth capability of the IPhone would connect to a Bluetooth HeadUnit in a vehilce.

In that way u would just sit in ur vehicle and let the music play with out puggin’ the IPhone up….

also,

I didn’t know that you can’t record videos, or that u only can send one pic at the time in a e-mail.

I don’t have an IPhone yet. Little things like that is what i miss and i hope in a way that Apple offer an upgrade to 20GB…. they did that with the appleTV…. so I hope some updates are coming out ....

Posted by Dennis on July 5, 2007 at 4:30 PM (CDT)

Awesome, i’m looking forward to Flash support mainly for internet radio streaming.

Posted by Dennis on July 5, 2007 at 4:33 PM (CDT)

I want flash on my iPhone

Posted by Hugo on July 5, 2007 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

Flippy,

Regarding the period/comma key, I read a great tip from Pogue:

If you need a period/comma, etc, rest your thumb on the 123 key, then when the kboard changes, slide it over to the symbol needed and release. It will jump back to ABC immediately. Basically it’s the difference between tap tap tap and tap slide release.

I think this motion will probably start turning up in a few more places as well.

Posted by Richard on July 5, 2007 at 7:19 PM (CDT)

I hope you iPhone users are sending feedback to Apple via this link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html.

Posted by Japester on July 5, 2007 at 8:14 PM (CDT)