Most iTunes-Pepsi bottles purchased at one time? | iLounge News

Most iTunes-Pepsi bottles purchased at one time?

picTilt. Twist. Redeem. A USC freshman takes the iTunes-Pepsi tilt to heart. “As a USC freshman, I am forced to have a meal plan. This plan gives me $2500 “dining dollars” to spend over the semester. Given that it is incredibly difficult to purchase $2500 worth of food in such a short time, I realized I could turn this “money” into free songs on iTunes by purchasing Pepsi.” This person may hold the record for most iTunes-Pepsi bottles purchased at one time for a chance to win music.

« Apple reports iPod mini audio problems “extremely small”

Students wear iPod t-shirt all month to win iPod »

Comments

Dining Dollars are awesome!!  I love having mine, too bad my damn University is a Coke University, no pepsi anywhere!! :(

Posted by DininDollarsRule on April 15, 2004 at 11:41 AM (CDT)

The guy’s a genious. College’s screw the dorm residents. You judgmental high schoolers may figure that out someday (was that low? I just figured the judgment was pretty high schoolish).

And this guy didn’t buy 2,500 bottles. I’m sure he spent or budgeted up to $1000 in food, and maybe bought 1,000 at the most, considering the price is probably $1.50 there. And still, divide that by three according to the odds. So he may have won 350 songs at the most. Do the math.

Now $2500 is way too much for a meal plan. A college student can live comfortably on 500-600 a semester. It’s the colleges that are the punks. This poor kid might have been paying for the salaries of the food service employees. I congratulate him for poking holes in the monopoly.

Posted by Wolf on April 15, 2004 at 12:14 PM (CDT)

It’s not a monopoly!  He had a choice!  He picked that meal plan!

Posted by Jeremy on April 15, 2004 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

Yah, any sort of “use it or lose it” plan certainly favors the vendor, and since it appears they were overcharging for both the food and the plan itself, I say power to him.  Nobody is losing out here - the school already has it’s money, Pepsi makes money from the sales, and the kid gets his (or Daddy’s) money’s worth.  Does anyone really care if he poured the Pepsi down the drain?  It’s not as though it was a nutritious food product that could have gone to starving children in Africa, y’know.

Posted by Roxster on April 15, 2004 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

All I know is that here at the University of Pittsburgh, we have a similar system - the meal plans are made up of X number of “blocks” that are worth 5.25 a piece, but those can only be used at perhaps two or three dining halls.

As for the other half, the “dining dollars” come in intervals of around 30 bucks from plan to plan; however, these can be used everywhere on campus for food, coffee at coffee carts, snacks, etc.

Personally, I never use all of my blocks during the week, because I don’t have time to eat twice, let alone three meals a day. As for dining dollars, they usually go pretty quick, because I love coffee.

Usually, I give my extra blocks to the local soup kitchen through this program, but during the promotion, I spent my extra blocks on 1-liter Pepsis, the only kind of iTunes ones they sold. I got about 40 total songs for “free”. Nowhere near this guy, but significant none the less.

I don’t drink soda (since its death for teeth), so I gave half away, and the other half went down the drain. I didn’t find it wasteful at all, because honestly, it was REALLY hard to give Pepsi away to anyone other than close friends.

Think about it, would you take a Pepsi from someone who took the cap off to get the code and reattached it? I wouldn’t either, but then again, I’m not very trusting of other people.

Plus, the blocks and dollars don’t carry over even semester to semester, so it allowed me an opportunity to actually buy a CD that wasn’t insanely expensive (especially for someone on a shoestring college budget.) Frankly, if I was in this guy’s position, I would have done the exact same thing.

Just a different perspective for you guys to read.

Posted by Aaron on April 15, 2004 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

I forgot to add:

“Some people in this world can’t find clean drinking water and this guy is dumping sodas down the trash chute.”

Hmm, nutritionally, I’d say it’s probably better to drink nothing at all, than just Pepsi. Frankly, the only way any of us can handle Pepsis sugar is because we eat and drink other things that balance it out.

Posted by Aaron on April 15, 2004 at 1:43 PM (CDT)

Bah, I reached my 200 song limit back in March.

Posted by Cyantre on April 15, 2004 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

so how many pepsi bottles did he buy anyway?

Posted by Uranus on April 15, 2004 at 1:51 PM (CDT)

hah, anyone else notice you can make out the codes in some of the pictures?

Posted by wfbberzerker on April 15, 2004 at 2:05 PM (CDT)

What a loser. Step two “Twist” isn’t even necessary. =P
All you need to do is “Tilt” and “Redeem”.
Why waste all that money when you can get 200 songs for free. (devilish laugh)

Posted by Cyantre on April 15, 2004 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

Stupid college kids…. no respect for the dollar..

Posted by BABABOOEY on April 15, 2004 at 4:28 PM (CDT)

wfbberzerker: Yeah, I did. I thought I’d be clever and try redeeming a few, but either he was smart enough to redeem them first, or someone beat me to it. Damn.

Posted by steeef on April 15, 2004 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

It is never mentioned how many bottles he bought. From the pictures, it looks like he bought 50 at the most.

and as far as people who go to USC being spoiled and rich, well there’s a chance I will be transferring there after next year, and I am FARRRR from rich. My family is actually quite poor. If I do go, it will be because of some scholarships and student loans. So yea, for you idiots assuming everyone that goes there is rich, well… you are idiots.

Posted by greg on April 15, 2004 at 5:17 PM (CDT)

WEll heres my opinion. IF hes rich i dont blame him, if he goes out to buy 10 crates of pepsi just for the caps its his call. If he wants to trats the pepsi he bought thats HISS call TOO. you guys are no one to tell him hes a stupid college kid. His dad makes money, he burns it, thats his problem.
Seems like he doenst have problem with money. The only thing i dont get is why doesnt he just pay for the music on itunes if hes rich. Also you dont have to be rich to buy music on itunes. Its only buck/song, and i sure most og you guys who can afford an ipod here should be able to afford music on itunes.

Posted by Akshay on April 15, 2004 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

Ok, here’s my two cents, a song on iTunes costs 99 cents, a pepsi in pretty much EVERYWHERE costs more, like at the very LEAST a dollar, so why is everyone freaking out about “free” songs when they really cost more than usual? I mean sure you get a pepsi, but most people don’t even drink it, what morons

Posted by kespodder in BG, OH on April 15, 2004 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

I hate Bananas.

Posted by Loser on April 15, 2004 at 5:36 PM (CDT)

but on the real subject, this crazy kid, i think you guys are a bunch of retards, i mean, who really cares what this kid does with his money? it’s not like it affects you, you’re just looking for something to sound all cool yelling about, get a freaking life

Posted by kespodder in BG, OH on April 15, 2004 at 5:37 PM (CDT)

Good God, ppl chill out.  It seems the ones all MAD cause he had that type of money to blow are a lil upset cause they didn’t have that opportunity?  Loser.  Get off the kids arse!  It didn’t say he had WON $2500 bux in music but that he spent that much.  Hell he could of given the drinks away, thrown a party, or POURED it down the drain.  And so what if his daddy bought him a Stang or a Bimmer, he reaps the benefits of his pops hard work!  So I guess the High and Mighty Jeremy wouldn’t do the same for his kid if he had the money to.  If you say you wouldn’t your a freakin liar.  Bunch of jealous ...

Posted by Laffin@UIdiots on April 15, 2004 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

Yea, the people complaining about this kid wasting money and/or being rich or wasting, god forbid, precious pepsi are sounding a little bit… communist.

damn commies!

Posted by ARA on April 15, 2004 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

Oh my goodness this is so amusing. This is my buddy john’s creation. Let me start off by saying he is one of the most hilarious guys ive ever met, always coming up with random schemes and finding new ways to make people laugh. he’s not a wasteful asshole. he tried to give them away (i took 2 for chasers) but, as someone else said, strangers dont really like previously opened pepsi, and the homeless are more picky than you’d think. I also, like some of you,  protested to him not recycling, but when i thought about how much time it would take to empty hundreds (and yes there were hundreds) of bottles i could see why he skipped that step.

on the meal plan. here at usc we have 2 choices, the small meal plan and the large meal plan. the small one basically requires you to watch how much food you eat and almost forces you to mooch off your friends with the larger meal plan. its only $510 in dining dollars a semester. however, the alternative is $2500 a semester which is way too much for anyone to spend on themself, so you end up spending it friviously. Now john found a loophole and made his dining dollars work for him. i applaud him and wouldnt hesitate to do the same thing if i wasnt so lazy.

Ive said a ton already but i have just a few closing words. John most definitly doesnt have a “stang” or even a car here, not all usc kids are rich who’s daddies buy them everything, and john has amazing taste in music - it wasnt goin towards downloading good charlotte or any shit like that.

Posted by shorty on April 15, 2004 at 7:45 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >