Motorola attacks iPad in tablet teaser video | iLounge News

Motorola attacks iPad in tablet teaser video

image

Motorola has posted a new video online that teases a tablet introduction at CES 2011 while taking shots at the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. The video, entitled “Tablet Evolution” and reposted by Laptop Magazine, is a CG walk through a corridor of tablets, ranging from an Egyptian Hieroglyphic tablet to the Rosetta Stone, with a somewhat tongue-in-cheek description for each. When the video swings to the iPad, the description says “It’s like a giant iPhone, but… it’s like a giant iPhone,” before swinging to show the Samsung Galaxy tab, which it describes as “Android OS, but Android OS… for a phone.” The video ends with a shot of an upcoming tablet from Motorola shrouded atop a pedestal, and then a brief segment of a bee flying around the Motorola logo — a likely indication that the tablet will run “Honeycomb,” Google’s upcoming, tablet-optimized version of Android.

« Apple releases iAd Producer to developers

Chima Designs intros Crucial Case for iPad »

Comments

Motorola is not that bright if they are just now figuring out that the iPad is like a giant iPhone ... although, it is more like a giant iPod Touch. The rest of us have known it for years.

Posted by John Stockmann on December 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

WooW! ... lol.  Any Tablet who has not a strong back-bone is nothing else than just useful for web surfing and e-mail communication.  A tablet who can only do that and maybe a few features here, will not be of that success.

Apple, did designed iTunes as central point of music, apps, books, and more.  The iPad is successful because of that back-bone, the iTunes store.

Samsung, Motorola, Rim and others might bring out a more powerful tablet, a brighter screen, or dual core processor and flash, and more.  That is all goo and I welcome all the new ideas and technological process.  The truth is, that the society is used to what apple established, the iTunes Store.  Some of us think that this store is simple over priced, or restrict what we IT guys would like to do with the tablet.

I personally do not have an iPad (yet), because I wanted to wait for one with cameras.  I wanted a iPhone4 because of the front facing camera, but to be honest… I don’t think that we all use this feature all the time.  It is very practical (pictures, games,..).  The next time I’ll get me the iPad.

I agree that all other competitions need to build up their store presence.  Amazon plays a big role in here, because the store already exist.  The connection to manufacturers tablets need to be established.  Otherwise, the Android seems to pull of too, but we will have to see how apple counter.

Apple, don’t have to bring out a bigger screen.  They need to implement other features, ex. finger wipe over the back-facaing camera would skip answering messages :] .... just .... a ....  .

Posted by Dennis on December 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

It’s sad how many people comment in the iPad without owning one,  I own one and I use it for the vast majority of my job.  I create documents and presentations, share files, etc.

It’s not a large iPod, or iPhone, at least not for me and my coworkers.

Posted by DP on December 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

@3: I do own an iPad, and it is just an iPod touch with a large screen. Oh sure, I could buy a $30 productivity suite, and $70 external keyboard and, then, look at that, I’ve got a $600 notebook, how is that a good idea again? The real kicker is that I could buy that same external keyboard for my touch and although Apple won’t let me buy their productivity suite “just because”, there’s enough alternatives, that I could do 98% of what I could do on a “modded” iPad with my touch or, if I owned one, an iPhone. The iPad’s screen, for some, gives them the perception they’re doing more than on an iPhone/touch, but the reality is that without blowing a lot of money on iPad only apps to distinguish it, it’s not distinguishable at all past the physical screen size.

In time, it may be more than a large touch/iPhone, but no one has yet to convince me otherwise in spite of the amount of use it gets in our household. It is, however, the most fantastic toy for a 3 y.o. ever devised, I’m just not sure its price point makes it the most practical choice for that usage wink

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on December 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

Posted by articles on December 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM (PDT)

I welcome new tablets as it stimulates the market, and will help keep the engineers at Apple focused on how to keep te iPad relevant and up to date.

But so far have not seen a device that would tempt me away from my iPad.
At work we got a 10” tablet from Novatech (nTouch) and it looks nice and the screen is responsive, but even with Windows 7 it was slow and the interface is not ideal for a tablet.

I like the iPad (ok,I am biased as I bought one!) and think the interface is superb, maybe room for improvement but still very good.
I use it for work to do presentations and take notes as well as mind maps and many other functions.
For personal use I find the easy access to emailand web useful and the multimedia side meets my travel requirements.
As for the battery life, that is awesome.
I have not taken my laptop on a business trip abroad for quite a while now and dont miss carrying it about.
The size and weight of the iPad make it a very pleasant travel companion as it is so light and so takes up so little space.

Do I think its a good business tool, yes. Do I think it will fully replace laptops/computers, not yet.
But if Apple is smart and the martket seizes the table idea then potentially more companies will embrace tablets for people who are mobile rather than deskbound.

Personally I see the iPad as more than a large iPod Touch as the larger screen opens up productivity type tools in a much better way than is possible on the iPod Touch. And I say this based on the fact I have had an iPod Touch as well for years and it was never as easy to use in meetings etc as the iPad.

But I guess its all personal opinion, after all my brother wont touch anything Apple and thinks Microsoft is the only way forward!!

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on December 21, 2010 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

That’s nice of Motorola - giving Apple 10 seconds of free, unbridled television air time.

Posted by Michael W on December 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM (PDT)

@3 - I do own a iPad yet but I love to have one.  The only reaosn why I don’t have one yet is that I holding on to the next one comes out.  It is very hard cause i really could use a iPad each single day.

I understand that people sathat the iPad is nothing else than a large iTouch, or iPhone.  Why stop there?  Why you don’t compare one laptop to the other?  At the end, the numbers of sold items are what counts and what proofs what the market accepted.

The iPad did very good so far.  I remember, two coworkers talking bad about the upcomming iPad release.  Now, they would like to have one too.

the issue here are the mobile carriers.  We, all agree that they over charging but not always provide 100% of service.  I do not have trouble with the AT&T service coverage at all here in Georgia but I agree that all providers should give resonalbe rate plans for under $100.

At times, I wonder if Apple ever considered to go in the service provide area… ecause it seems like that most mobile service providers like to open their hand to receive cash, but barely grab the screwdriver in the pocket to fix their service.

Posted by Dennis on December 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

@8 - I wanted to write “I don’t own a iPad yet but I love to have one. ”

Posted by dennis on December 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

I agree with #4 (Code Monkey) that iPad is the best toddler toy ever invented (aside from the iPhone/iPod touch).  I enjoy my iPad, but aside from developing programs for it, it’s far from being an essential device the way my iPhone is.

Posted by Dyvim on December 21, 2010 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

That teaser, and the “dig” at the iPad is so lame, I don’t think I can walk after watching it.

Posted by Dan Woods on December 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM (PDT)