Motorola CEO: ‘Screw the nano’ | iLounge News

Motorola CEO: ‘Screw the nano’

Motorola CEO Ed Zander appears to be more than a little upset that Apple’s iPod nano has stolen the spotlight from his company’s iTunes-enabled ROKR phone. Despite having a partnership with Apple to offer iTunes on his company’s mobile phones, Zander had some very harsh words for the nano in a recent interview. “Screw the nano. What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs?” he reportedly said. Zander said consumers are going to want devices that do more than just play music.

« zCover offers silicone protective cases for iPod nano

iPod nano screen complaints abound »

Comments

“What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs?

Posted by mrqcho on September 26, 2005 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

“Zander said consumers are going to want devices that do more than just play music.”

the ipod is the no.1 player on the market, whataya say to that mr. zander?

Posted by boom on September 26, 2005 at 11:05 AM (CDT)

whats so speacial about the stupid rokr phone? it plays songs and can only hold 100, it looks like any other run of the mill candy bar style cell phone.  It’s not like it’s the first mp3 player/phone, I saw one about 3 years ago, so nothing is new other than the amazing 100 song capacity on a cell phone.

Posted by enigma on September 26, 2005 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

you are gonna got a lot of beating from these ipod fanatics, mr. z.

they will defend their overpriced/scratched/beaten-down ipods as if their every existence depend on it.

Posted by iJay on September 26, 2005 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

The problem with the consolidation of devices is this: If my iPod’s battery dies, I’m annoyed.  If my cell phone battery dies, I’m SOL.  Why would I purposely do something to kill my phone battery outside of what I intend it to do i.e. talk to someone?

Posted by Neil on September 26, 2005 at 11:32 AM (CDT)

Seriously.  I can drop more than 100 songs onto an SD card and listen to them in my Treo if I want to.  The ROKR is a crappy phone trying to capitalize on the iTunes name.

Posted by Andy S. on September 26, 2005 at 11:34 AM (CDT)

Zander, as CEO, should not have said what he did. Unfortunately, I do not want a mobile phone to listen to music. However, I am very interested in the same concept to listen to podcasts and audio books, This would allow me to wear a bluetooth earpiece while functioning as I normally do with my mobile phone.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on September 26, 2005 at 11:41 AM (CDT)

Brilliant market analysis such as this would readily explain the virtually complete error of design and functionality that was the ROKR E1.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 26, 2005 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

I can’t believe the Motorola CEO said this.  I hope Steve Jobs pulls the plug on their partnership.  Motorola was benefitting from it much more than Apple anyway.

Wow, my opinion of Motorola keeps getting worse and worse… watch the latest Apple keynote and listen to the Motorola guy talk.  He just bombs; its kind of embarrassing to watch that guy pretend he’s intelligent.

I wish there was a good mobile communication company out there, but they all make pretty mediocre products from what I can see.

Posted by Ben on September 26, 2005 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

Zander is just pissed b/c nano’s 1st week sales obliterated the ROKR phone. Zander should have taken more time to make a better product. The phone (from what I hear) is a tank and the reception is LESS than subpar. He was out of his mind to even ATTEMPT to ‘compete’ w/ the nano anyway.

Let’s see: get a phone that plays 100 songs for $250+ dollars

OR

Buy a nano w/ 500 or 1,000 songs for $200 or $250 and USE THE PHONE I’VE ALREADY GOT.

HMMMMM….

Posted by Rick on September 26, 2005 at 12:06 PM (CDT)

Nokia?

I must have had several Nokia phones all of which were easy to use and lasted really hard use.

Motorola v60i? Lasted about a year then packed up. Never could get my head around the menu system. Only thing going for it was its small size.

Zander must had got a big bag of sour grapes to produce that outburst…..

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 26, 2005 at 12:07 PM (CDT)

I have 2000+ songs on my iPod.  Of course I don’t listen to all of them in one sitting.  But then I don’t have to continually swap songs on my iPod to listen to them.  Whatever I feel like listening at the exact moment, I have access to.  Eventually I see the Motorola phone offering more music too.  They probably can, but Apple prevented them from doing that.

Posted by Sam on September 26, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

It’s very presumptuous for a CEO of a mediocre cell phone manufacturing company to tell the consumers what they want.

Not to mention a complete fiasco that ROKR ended up being in the first place.  Let’s see, do I want (arguably) the best MP3 player out there, or a crappy phone that tries to be one?

Posted by D.B. on September 26, 2005 at 12:13 PM (CDT)

I think the moto-razor phone is a piece of junk as well. I always feel like i’m gonna break a clamshell-style holding it to my head, and try to read the razor’s screen on a sunny day.

Posted by matt on September 26, 2005 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

what an idiot. “who wants to listen to 1000 songs?” Obviously the guy hasn’t been paying attention to the iPod’s sales the last few years. (and personally, 1000 songs isn’t ENOUGH for me).

Posted by wolfpacker on September 26, 2005 at 1:10 PM (CDT)

screw the MOTOROLA!
By the way, What is MOTOROLA?

Posted by Jakk on September 26, 2005 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

Motorola is right that some people want devices that do more than one thing…but the ROKR ain’t it.  The ROKR borders on being complete garbage.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on September 26, 2005 at 1:48 PM (CDT)

“Who listens to 1,000 songs?

Posted by fondy44 on September 26, 2005 at 2:17 PM (CDT)

Let’s see, Steve Jobs is scheduled to do a Keynote at MacWorld Paris and Motorola is FINALLY ready to release the long-delayed (never has so much been done to produce so little) ROKR.

Steve, planning to launch the Nano in Paris in plenty of time for the holiday sales season, sees that no matter how long it’s taken, ROKR’s a dog that will take luster off the whole iTunes/Pod halo so moves up the Nano intro to synch with the ROKR deal. (And cancels his keynote.)

And doesn’t tell Zander what the othe product he’s going to introduce is.

Result: Apple looks as good as ever, Motorola looks clueless (and feels dissed).

Neo-result: A juicy soundbite.

Posted by Bigpics on September 26, 2005 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

Nice, Zander. Who listens to 1000 songs? Only the biggest mp3 player market in the world. Hopefully Apple WILL pull the plug on the iTunes phone (though they probably won’t, too much paperwork). Motorola is making much much more from the deal than Apple. Just like what HP did a year ago. Zander - you need Apple. Apple doesn’t need you.

Posted by mongoos150 in Tucson, AZ on September 26, 2005 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >