Motorola intros new RAZR V3i phone with iTunes | iLounge News

Motorola intros new RAZR V3i phone with iTunes

image

imageMotorola on Tuesday announced the RAZR V3i, an updated version of its popular RAZR V3 mobile phone that will include iTunes and other new features. The new quad-band handset will be only the second phone with iTunes.

The RAZR V3i also features a 1.23 megapixel digital camera, microSD (TransFlash) card slot, Bluetooth, dual color screens, and an updated design with a new spun metal look. The phone will use a mini-USB stereo headset. There’s no information provided regarding music storage capacity and whether the new RAZR will be crippled with a 100-song cap like the ROKR.

The only phone currently available with iTunes is Motorola’s ROKR, which received widespread criticism for its poor design and performance. Including iTunes on the RAZR V3i will give the Apple-Motorola partnership and its mobile music initiative a much-need shot in the arm, industry experts say.

“Putting iTunes in the flagship phone shows that Motorola is committed to the partnership despite an early rough start,” Jon Gales, editor of mobile phone news site MobileTracker, told iLounge. “Many critics (including myself) chided the ROKR for decidedly plain design and aging specs. Those don’t apply with iTunes on the RAZR V3i.”

The RAZR V3i is expected to be available before the end of the year. A carrier was not announced, but is widely expected to be Cingular due to its success with the original RAZR and its ties to the promotion of the ROKR phone with iTunes. Pricing has yet to be determined and will most likely depend on the carrier.

« Mix: NBC/CBS on-demand, Fruitcast, Shufflicious, Usability Awards

Tivoli iSongBook portable music system now available »

Comments

Nice, I’ll probably buy it !

Posted by Steph on November 8, 2005 at 11:07 AM (CST)

That’s more like it… V3i looks better… not that i am going to get it though LOL. I am sticking with my 3 iPods (White 4thG 60G, Black 5thG 60G and my Black 4G Nano).

Posted by floridante2k on November 8, 2005 at 11:10 AM (CST)

Posted by AgingGeek on November 8, 2005 at 11:14 AM (CST)

I’ve already have a iPod Video, but I need to change my phone, so this one is good and iTunes is a plus when I’m without my iPod. It’s better than an iPod shuffle.

Posted by Steph on November 8, 2005 at 11:15 AM (CST)

Much better, I don’t keep up with Cell Phones but knew a new Razor was coming out since I could get the old one for free. I might get this one since I’d like a new phone soon.

Posted by skw on November 8, 2005 at 11:24 AM (CST)

Looks way better than the old iTunes phone.

By the way, why doesn’t Apple have anything about this on their web site?

And is it only 512MBs like the old one?

Posted by Graeme Smith on November 8, 2005 at 11:27 AM (CST)

Originally posted by aging geek
Right, storage capacity had NOTHING to do witht the ROKR
problems…

That’s what iLounge meant by “aging specs”.

Posted by Jonathan Keim on November 8, 2005 at 11:34 AM (CST)

Not really fussed by iTunes support, but adding an SD slot is enough to fix everything that was wrong with the original RAZR.  I so freaking want one!

Posted by Fenn on November 8, 2005 at 12:20 PM (CST)

Does it have the same 100 song limit?

Posted by David on November 8, 2005 at 12:33 PM (CST)

Posted by Victor on November 8, 2005 at 12:54 PM (CST)

My guess is that it will have a 100 song limit, since that’s a built in thing in the iTunes client as opposed to the phone itself.  I work at a cellular store (Rogers in Canada) and I had been looking at getting a phone and trying to decide between the iTunes feature of a ROKR and the look of a RAZR, but now I’ll wait for Rogers to get this.

Will it replace my iPod 5G or my Nano?  No but it will replace my shuffle and give me something I can use when I’m out and not wanting to take both a nano and a phone.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on November 8, 2005 at 1:23 PM (CST)

Do you really consider a V3 RAZR not to be ageing technology? The only thing it has going for it is its quad-band. Other than that, other phones beat it HAND DOWN for features, usability (I had a V600, and my girlfriend has a V3, they have terrible interfaces) and battery life.

Get the Sony Ericsson W800 instead, 512MB card included, not limited song memory and the interface is just as good as iTunes.

The only thing it has going for it is it looks good.

Posted by Weiran Zhang on November 8, 2005 at 2:26 PM (CST)

my RAZR suddenly seems so un-cool. damn them.

not crazy about the black inside though.

Posted by travis on November 8, 2005 at 3:25 PM (CST)

I remember reading awhile ago how the iTunes phones would be limited in their ability to hold songs so not to “sabotage the iPod”.

Apple is smart—if it could compete with an iPod with high capacity, it might effectively help to lessen the wow factor and desirability for an iPod.

Posted by chris on November 8, 2005 at 4:16 PM (CST)

i dont know, cell phones eat up battery life, and i am not sure if i would want to listen to my cell phone while i am jogging, it will not be replacing my shuffle

Posted by khyberny on November 8, 2005 at 4:19 PM (CST)

Tech sites have been saying this has the same 100 song limit and the same bad software.  The only improvement is the speed of the menus.

Posted by stark23x on November 8, 2005 at 5:33 PM (CST)

well does it have the stereo speakers like the roker or is only headphones because i see no point in buy one if there isnt a distingushably freature like the speakers.

cuz i got a phone i got a shuffle and i got a 3g ipod so can i get a deal breaker.

Posted by BIGP in Texas on November 8, 2005 at 6:51 PM (CST)

I believe they may be hiding some things from us. I see no headphone port, bluetooth headphones? Why wont they give us the info on the iTunes capacity? Who knows, but I am a current RAZR user and will continue to be a RAZR user

Posted by Mike on November 8, 2005 at 8:11 PM (CST)

That is prettyful!!

Posted by conner on November 8, 2005 at 8:15 PM (CST)

That looks pretty cool. If it gets even somewhat decent reviews in use I’ll switch from Verizon to Cingular next year just to get this phone.

Posted by Ches on November 8, 2005 at 9:36 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >